Implemented Instant Search

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Agreed. I've also suggested we have a quick search bar in forums. Your suggestion would work perfectly with mine.

When typing in the search bar, the top results should appear instantly without having to click the search button for results (and there can be a link at the end for the full list). I wouldn't mind if it's an exclusive Enhanced Search feature but it would be great for every XF owner to be able to use it.
You mean like this?

Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 4.13.57 PM.webp Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 4.14.59 PM.webp

If so, there's a paid third party add-on for that (as is normal in the XenForo world). And yes, it does require ES to be installed.
Now, yes, I definitely agree it would be nice if it was built in but seriously doubt we will ever see it in the next decade if past history continues...... and I'll simply leave it at that as I don't want the wrath of XF developers to descend upon me.

Last edited:
Are you indicating that these base functions are going to be enabled natively in the future (hopefully near)... or are you acknowledging that it is depending upon third parties to provide these core functions.. because currently the core script does not offer that last time I checked.. which resulted in me having to engage a paid 3'rd party add-on to provide those functions..

Read it as a comment on your vitriolic nonsense.

Oh, look, there's that wrath you predicted.
And yet you fail to respond.
Please... does the current utilization of XF ES enable these features... last time I checked, I had to actually use a paid 3rd party add-on to do so... has that changed? If so, I'd certainly like to no longer have to pay the extra monies to do so (which I renewed tonight). So feel free to confirm and I can request a refund of those funds from the 3rd party developer if XF now supports it natively.
Please, elucidate on the ability of native XenForo (even using XF ES) to do so with instructions on how to enable that feature. When I purchased the XF ES add-on, it natively did not do so, requiring me to have to purchase a 3rd party extension to do so. So yes, I'd like to not have to expend the extra monies if this has finally been coded into XFES core.

I realize y'all don't like to be called out... but sometimes reality bites one in the arse. So if you can confirm that this ability (extended as it is beyond the basics available on the XF site) is currently supported natively.. I'll happily cancel my 3rd party add-on subscription.
The current 2.3 offering:
Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 6.57.28 AM.webp

Does that look anything like what I highlighted? And I can guarantee you that the XF site has returns using that search term.
Please.. continue to try to obfuscate the obvious. XF ES fails to offer the ability (as shown by this site) to do the basics as shown by my inserted images and apparently requires 3rd party intervention to do so (which in many ways is a core XF paradigm). It would be nice if the XF developers would deign to grant those abilities to their license holders (even if it required XFES) in the future.

Last edited:
Why is enhanced search even an addon. Stuff like that should be automatically included in the core software by now. Maybe in 3.0 they can add it into the core.
Enhanced Search is necessary as a separate add-on because it utilises an entirely separate piece of software, Elasticsearch, which is far superior to the only thing we can deliver by default which is MySQL search.

The sheer majority of customers, particularly on shared hosting, do not have the ability to install additional software.

As MySQL search evolves, if it does and where practical, we will always introduce new functionality to the core. But until then, advanced functionality is likely only feasible via Enhanced search.

Implemented in 2.3.

Top Bottom