Instant message with friends online

I don't think instantaneously/instantly contacting some like MSN or a chatbox is a goal here. Rather like twitter or facebook wall posts is where you can get in contact with someone/ a group of people in a short amount of time say 5 mins.​

I really don't think it's needed as we have PMs/Conversations already. Just my opinion.

... and with the Inbox alert marking, I think it's a good replacement. You follow the conversation easily, and get notified when there's a new message.

It might not be instant, but I think it's fine without killing your server.

Why not connect directly to IM networks? That barely affects performance, as the IM networks and desktop clients run the service.
I am still baffled that forums have ignored IM until now, while half the world uses it and IM allows forums to reach members on their desktop. Most IM networks are interconnected, so is relatively easy to plug into. It would be a compelling function attracting users to XF.

Easiest way to implement something like this would just be adding the meebo bar or something else like that... The benefits to which include drag and drop sharing links, images and videos with twitter, facebook, email and IM contacts... and the fact it works will all of your exsisiting IM services... However it doesn't have any options for local username login which would be the best option... There are others out there that do the same thing though, to have this as standard in xenForo would be server intensive though,

I really don't think it's needed as we have PMs/Conversations already. Just my opinion.
I agree with Nix. If this is something that you really want, you could always install the Wibiya toolbar, which has instant chat like FB.

you could always setup a separate open fire network, then add a link to header. Run it off site so it keeps server load down but adds real time chat for those wanting it. And lets forum focus more on discussions.

IM is not needed on a Forum - There are Private Conversations and the actual Forums themselves to post in. Some forums will also have a shoutbox which is pretty close to IM - Leave the IM'ing to the IM programs ;)

A chatbox shouldn't be that hard to create as a modification as something like that shouldn't come standard with something like this :)

you could always setup a separate open fire network, then add a link to header. Run it off site so it keeps server load down but adds real time chat for those wanting it. And lets forum focus more on discussions.
Yes, this would be excellent. Would love that out of the box.

I think once a member base has IM functionality, the community will expand virally. Especially the active members a site gets. Members are attracted to the site whenever an IM alert is sent out or friends come online.

Yes, this would be excellent. Would love that out of the box.

I think once a member base has IM functionality, the community will expand virally. Especially the active members a site gets. Members are attracted to the site whenever an IM alert is sent out or friends come online.

I setup external open fire for my networks and team which is good for real time group/file sharing, by keeping it separate it helps cut down server load for the main sites. I think the primary focus of xenforo should be for forums, IM systems take away from public discussions that should be for all members to take part in otherwise why have a forum.

All we need to do is make private conversations auto-update and voila - instant messaging!

Someone could create a toolbar modification to auto-send/receive private conversations.

See Forums are meant to encourage people to post. The problem with IM is that then people may not post but only use the Chatting... So content does not remain on your forum threads which means search engines have nothing to index which means less visitors which means less income... :D

So IM should be left out of Forums. IF a forum system was to have it, I wouldn't enable it.

Top Bottom