XF 1.5 Instant email failure when adding a bounce email address?

HomerJ

Prerequisite knowledge: I'm using Amazon SES for sending mail. Mail is being sent fine (via SMTP - not a mailserver installed on my machine).

I tried to setup a bounced email address and auto bounce handler. When entering a bounce email address, I get instant email failure in the error log?

Since you're using SES, you have to make sure that your bounce inbox (Or domain) is also verified at SES, as it's added to the outgoing mail's headers. SES will reject the outgoing mail if the FROM and Reply-To are not verified with SES.

Since you're using SES, you have to make sure that your bounce inbox (Or domain) is also verified at SES, as it's added to the outgoing mail's headers. SES will reject the outgoing mail if the FROM and Reply-To are not verified with SES.
Yes, this is correct. Apologies, I figured this out afterwards but forgot to update this thread. Cheers :)

VERP changes the return-path on every mail sent and, usually, that address (and often the "from" address) are what need to be verified.

If a system (SES or otherwise) requires a specific return-path header/envelope sender, then VERP won't work.

Saying that, the Amazon docs say they should support VERP here: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/verify-email-addresses.html
Yep, I've solved this. Turns out Outlook does NOT support receiving email if the account is set as the return path in an email (with +whatever etc at the start). Gmail on the other hand does. So... now I'm using a Gmail account for bounces with VERP enabled in XF and it's working fine. I am NOT using SNS in SES, just standard email forwarding.

However I'd say anyone wanting to debug their bounces, to ensure they're receiving bounce mails should disable VERP in XF first.

Cheers Mike :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom