Implemented Instant Alerts

chousho

I thought for sure this must have been suggested, however Search provided nothing.

It would be handy if the page you were on would do some AJAX magic and tell you if you received any new Alerts without having to refresh.

For example, you're browsing a thread. You have no Alerts showing in red at the top of the page.
You finish reading the thread and scroll up to the top.
TADAH! 3 new alerts in the time you spent reading. All without having to navigate to another page or refresh.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
While I do believe it would be a very, very cool addition. I mean, who wouldn't want instant, Ajax-powered updates, right? I'm not sure if it's worth all the extra time it would take for the developers to implement, not to mention the additional strain - albeit minimal or otherwise - on the server. Without being a stick in the mud, I can't imagine spending a great deal of time on a single page anyway, and, even so, how often are we likely to receive notifications that are so important that we simply have to read them immediately?

Please do not think I am not for the idea; quite the contrary. It would be a cool feature, and a handy one, I'm just entirely convinced that the pros outweigh the cons.

Really? I guess I always assumed it was happening since I'm always browsing and didn't know it needed a refresh.

As I've suggested already, alerts should refresh after refocusing the tab after a certain amount of time has passed since losing focus, like Facebook.

Top Bottom