Installing A Second Network Adapter On Debian

rellek

Hi,

I need your help. I have to re-configure my network a little bit and that makes it necessary to add a second LAN adapter into my NAS which is basically an Intel Atom PC running Debian Squeeze.

I know from former Debian installs on my desktop that nothing's gonna happen when I reboot this machine after adding this adapter. And I do know that a clean installation would automatically find and configure any network adapters.

So my question is: How can I re-start this cool configuration utility that served me so well when installing Debian?

Do you know what I mean? It found any network adapters and asked some questions, did some magic and then everything was fine.

Or, can you tell me how to install a driver that is part of the kernel? IIRC, modprobe enables that device but only until I have to reboot.

What type of network adapter is it?

You said you have this running on a Intel Atom PC and that you need to add a second Lan adapter into your NAS. But you've left out what type of adapter you're using .... ie... What is you lan card?

Well, the Atom PC *is* the NAS. It's a Debian Linux with a Samba share and we call it our NAS.

The network adapter is or will be (I have it here but it's not yet plugged into the PC) DGE-528T by D-Link. Google told me that Kernel 2.6.8 did not yet have a driver but 2.6.12+ does, so I'm fine with Squeeze's 2.6.32. However, I don't know how to install it.

Well that was really easy. Plugged in the second NIC, booted up Debian and the magic happend automatically. Both NICs available to the system. Just had to edit /etc/network/interfaces and I was good to go. Linux is awesome :D

Top Bottom