XF 1.5 Installed add-on, crashed site & database server... How to remove?

Solari

I made the mistake of installing an add-on before making a backup (SMH) and it took the entire site and database server down. Obviously I can't get into XF admin so what is the best way to remove the add-on? I can FTP in and remove it but not sure it if would leave a mess?

Appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

Ray

With FTP go to library/config.php and add this line:
Code:
$config['enableListeners'] = false;
Then see if the site loads. Go back to the admin panel if it does and uninstall the add-on.

We are back online, phew... Thanks for the help!

Is it a best practice to backup files and database each time before installing an add-on? Wonder if there is a way to automate that process...

Ray

2 Cents:

I installed hundreds of addons for xf1 and xf2 and never encountered an addon which would crash the site or the database and lock you out.

Are you sure you installed a correct version of the addon, which works for your xf version?

And there is an backup addon for xf1, if you are too lazy to do it by using the SSH. Highly recommended, you can run the backup cron from your ACP anytime before you install an addon to be safe.

Taking a backup is always recommended before doing anything which could result in changes being made to the site, especially the database.

I hear you loud and clear.

BTW, I commented out

// $config['enableListeners'] = false;

...but some add-ons don't appear to be working like post ratings, etc. Is there something I need to do to kick them all back online? I was able to remove the offending add-on.

UPDATE: Silly caching, it's fine now. ; )

Thanks,
Ray

Last edited:
I installed hundreds of addons for xf1 and xf2 and never encountered an addon which would crash the site or the database and lock you out.

It's the first time it's happened for me after so many non-issues. It is the correct version for what we are using, I also checked the discussion thread prior to installing to see if there were any issues. The add-on was: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/kl-staff-posts.5353/ (I contacted the author via PM).

The server tech said "So it seems that when the addon was installed it corrupted some of the datebases . I was able to repair them and also I do not know why it was have an issue reading files from the addon but that was causing some issues as well."

And there is an backup addon for xf1, if you are too lazy to do it by using the SSH. Highly recommended, you can run the backup cron from your ACP anytime before you install an addon to be safe.

Will definitely check it out... Many thanks.

Ray

Reactions: sbj
I replied to Paul's email thanking him for his help -- it bears being repeated publicly because I very much appreciate what he and Xenforo have done for all of us:

Paul,​
Now that the dust has settled, I wanted to thank you for your excellent support — it was a beacon of light during chaos. ; )​
And thank you & your team for providing such enduringly excellent software. I look forward to the continued journey, esp. when we migrate to XF2 down the road.​
Take care,​
Ray​

It's called plan for the worst, hope for the best. Just good practice. It doesn't take that long to make a backup of the DB and file structure with todays hardware and it's kind of foolish to not take the extra few minutes to do it. It's simply a safe practice that many either don't want to fool with or they have become complacent because "it's never happened to me before". All it takes is that one time and to loose (at the least) a day's worth of traffic on a busy site and you will learn.
Unlike the quote above, I HAVE had the issue occur a few times. Luckily I had taken both file and DB backups prior to installation of the add-on so it was no big issue to get back to where I was. I really got in the habit after I started running IPS. Back in their 4.0 days you had BETTER take a backup anytime you installed anything or upgraded the script.

Top Bottom