XF 2.1 Installation Resources for Stone Age People?

Robotic Robot

Hello.

I am having troubles with installation and am looking for assistance.

Here is where I am, I think?

I have bought a Xenforo license, a VPS (Linode) and a domain name. Now I'm trying to install Xenforo on the server. I've tried to find the necessary documentation for the process but I am way over my head in lingo that I don't understand.

From what I've seen people recommend Centmin Mod, so I used the CentOS 7 distribution when creating my Linode, then I followed the getting started document of Linode to the best of my ability, (hopefully?) followed by an autoinstallation of Centmin via this guide. I now realize that the URL of that board and this one is different...hopefully I didn't get server aids? Should I do anything about that or is that alright?

Now I am trying to follow this guide. Am I on track? Is there any other more user stone age friendly guide/resource to follow? Basically I am completely lost in what I should do and how I should learn how to do it.

Thank you for your time.

Hello.

I am having troubles with installation and am looking for assistance.

Here is where I am, I think?

I have bought a Xenforo license, a VPS (Linode) and a domain name. Now I'm trying to install Xenforo on the server. I've tried to find the necessary documentation for the process but I am way over my head in lingo that I don't understand.

From what I've seen people recommend Centmin Mod, so I used the CentOS 7 distribution when creating my Linode, then I followed the getting started document of Linode to the best of my ability, (hopefully?) followed by an autoinstallation of Centmin via this guide. I now realize that the URL of that board and this one is different...hopefully I didn't get server aids? Should I do anything about that or is that alright?

Now I am trying to follow this guide. Am I on track? Is there any other more user stone age friendly guide/resource to follow? Basically I am completely lost in what I should do and how I should learn how to do it.

Thank you for your time.

By default, your hosting company set up all the server setting and have it ready for you to deploy your files. All that you need now is to access your server via an FTP software like FileZila to upload your unzipped xenforo files to the server.

Next step would be to create a MySQL database which is a straight forward one-click job

Finally, point your url to www.example.com/install and follow the on-screen instruction.

Hope that helps. If you are still stuck you can shoot me a PM and I will be happy to take a closer look.

By default, your hosting company set up all the server setting and have it ready for you to deploy your files. All that you need now is to access your server via an FTP software like FileZila to upload your unzipped xenforo files to the server.

Next step would be to create a MySQL database which is a straight forward one-click job

Finally, point your url to www.example.com/install and follow the on-screen instruction.

Hope that helps. If you are still stuck you can shoot me a PM and I will be happy to take a closer look.

Firstly, thanks for your time and reply. I appreciate it. Is it really ready to go? What about their getting started documents? Why would they tell me to do things related to security etc if I can just plug and go?

If you need something that is plug and go, and that is not what you have, then you may have signed up to the wrong hosting package or type of hosting.

If you feel like you're in above your head you either need to sign up to some sort of shared hosting which is typically all ready to go, or you will need to purchase "managed hosting" where someone will take care of everything for you.

There are some XF customers who offer hosting services, and you might find some advertising in this forum:

Firstly, thanks for your time and reply. I appreciate it. Is it really ready to go? What about their getting started documents? Why would they tell me to do things related to security etc if I can just plug and go?

As Chris pointed out, you may have picked up the wrong hosting package. Typically most hosting companies have plug and go sort of hosting packages. You as a starter would want to go with shared hosting first before jumping to VPS.

I would have to concur, probably best to start with 'shared' hosting.

I recall years back when I started out I was a tad confused by the offerings of virtual private servers or dedicated, but upon reading into it (as I did not have monies at that moment so it was a case of "see what is what" for a week or so in advance of purchasing) realised I'd have to spend ages working out how to configure and update the VPS, php mysql etc etc etc if the host did not manage it for me, so simply plumped for a standard shared hosting package, figuring if i outgrew it or the host complained I could simply backup, move and restore on a new host.

I'm still on shared now.

It may be worth if you are struggling with this to ask if the host will change your package to a shared one of some description. If anything that ought to be cheaper.

I would have to concur, probably best to start with 'shared' hosting.

I recall years back when I started out I was a tad confused by the offerings of virtual private servers or dedicated, but upon reading into it (as I did not have monies at that moment so it was a case of "see what is what" for a week or so in advance of purchasing) realised I'd have to spend ages working out how to configure and update the VPS, php mysql etc etc etc if the host did not manage it for me, so simply plumped for a standard shared hosting package, figuring if i outgrew it or the host complained I could simply backup, move and restore on a new host.

I'm still on shared now.

It may be worth if you are struggling with this to ask if the host will change your package to a shared one of some description. If anything that ought to be cheaper.

Most hosting companies give 1-3 months money back. I think he should downgrade his current plan or simply get his money back and look for different host.

That's sort of what I meant, in that if the host was willing (and offered) shared hosting a package swap with perhaps a refund of the difference or an extension to cover it, as in (random example) 1yr VPS = $XX and 2yr Medium Shared = $XX , so they would get a longer lasting pack.

Depends on host obviously and if/what they wanted to do I guess. The longer valid period seems more palatable to them I guess than returning monies.

Linode has excellent "get started" documentation. I came over to Linode earlier this year from shared hosting, and their guides were excellent in terms of getting all of the basics set up (security, SSL cert, setting up domain correctly, setting up database, installing all the key needed software). I used Ubuntu rather than CentOS, but it was fairly easy.

I recommend that you wipe your VPS and start over from scratch. Take it one step at a time. Use their Getting Started guide. It may also be easier as you set up a VPS, that before you install ANYTHING, that you install the cPanel or Plesk (depending on your OS used) because these provide you with a much easier interface to use (plesk IMHO is very powerful) that doesn't require you to drop into the command line interface.

In my case I wanted to learn how to do things, so I decided to use the command line for everything. It has been a learning experience. The nice thing is that you can wipe your VPS until you get things right. Then you can transition to a production installation of XenForo. Remember though, you MUST install cPanel or Plesk before doing anything else (after you install the OS, that is).

Top Bottom