Installation Problem

I changed the permissions on the folders below, but I still get this error. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

he following errors occurred while verifying that your server can run XenForo:
  • The directory /home/dustinma/public_html/888innovation.com/teachers/data must be writable. Please change the permissions on this directory to be world writable (chmod 0777). If the directory does not exist, please create it.
  • The directory /home/dustinma/public_html/888innovation.com/teachers/internal_data must be writable. Please change the permissions on this directory to be world writable (chmod 0777). If the directory does not exist, please create it.

I don't understand what you mean by all subdirectories. I am creating this installation as a subdirectory. I already have Xenforo on my main URL. I created a folder called "teachers". /home/dustinma/public_html/888innovation.com/teachers/internal_data

Do you mean I need to set teachers to 077? I tried that but then it said there was a server error.

Dustin

The data/ and internal_data/ directories have sub-directories.
The two parent directories and all sub-directories must be 0777.

What do you see for the permissions in your FTP application when you look at those directories?

See attached. I tried the same settings on the subdirectories inside the folders, but still have the same problem

Attachments

• 888director1.webp
    888director1.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 888director2.webp
    888director2.webp
    13.9 KB · Views: 11
Thanks, now it works. I have another question. Do I use the same database for an install on a subdirectory of my main forum, or do I create a new database for the new install on the subdirectory?

Dustin

Hello
Yesterday I was trying to install XF on a subdomain of my main install. I get this error when I try to go to the Administration Panel

Server Error

fopen(/home/dustinma/public_html/888innovation.com/internal_data/install-lock.php) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied
  1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
  2. fopen() in XenForo/Install/Model/Install.php at line 270
  3. XenForo_Install_Model_Install->writeInstallLock() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php at line 94
  4. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Abstract->_assertInstallLocked() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php at line 16
  5. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Abstract->_preDispatchType() in XenForo/Controller.php at line 302
  6. XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 309
  7. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  8. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/dustinma/public_html/888innovation.com/admin.php at line 13

Brogan, I want to make 2 installations because I have my main forum for my students but I was thinking of creating a separate forum just for teachers. Would it be better to keep everything on one site? Also, I now have this error! I can't go to my admin panel. I am going to delete the subdirectory for the new install and see if that fixes it.

Server Error

fopen(/home/dustinma/public_html/888innovation.com/internal_data/install-lock.php) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied
  1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
  2. fopen() in XenForo/Install/Model/Install.php at line 270
  3. XenForo_Install_Model_Install->writeInstallLock() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php at line 94
  4. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Abstract->_assertInstallLocked() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php at line 16
  5. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Abstract->_preDispatchType() in XenForo/Controller.php at line 302
  6. XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 309
  7. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  8. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/dustinma/public_html/888innovation.com/admin.php at line 13

Ok, I changed all of the folders in internal data to 777. Do I even change the htaccess and other files to 777? I changed everything to 777 and now I can get into my control panel. But should htaccess be 777?

If you have shell access then try running these commands to recursively set permissions in those directories:

Code:
chmod -R 777 data

chmod -R 777 internal_data

You might also try 755 permissions. Depending on how PHP is installed, 755 may still be writable. I have seen some server configurations throw errors with 777.

Do not change the permissions on any other directories or files except for data and internal_data. As I said, some servers will throw errors if you grant too many permissions. Depending on the server configuration, all other directories should normally be 755 and the files be 644.

Yes, I am getting some server errors now. I don't understand how to run commands. Can you explain how it is done? Do I make all of the files in data and internal data 755? Even htaccess?

Dustin

Yes. data and internal_data, and all files inside of those directories should be fully writable. That means 777 or 755 depending on your server configuration. If not with shell access then any FTP client can do it.

Top Bottom