XF 1.4 Install folder permissions.

Mian Shahid

Hi, i face this issue during upgrading to 1.4.3 few minuts ago, for an add-on, i changed install folder permissions to 0777, when i started upgrading after uploading, i received 500 internal server error, so i change permissions to 0755 and everything done OK.

Now, the question is, Changing install folder permissions to 0777 is ok regarding forum security ?

Experts kindly share your opinion.

Thanks

General files and directories should be 0644 and 0755 respectively.

The /data and /internal_data directories should be:
0666/0777 if PHP runs as "nobody" (the web server user)
0644/0755 if it runs as "your" user (suPHP for example)

0644/07555 only works if PHP is running as the user that owns the file (generally with cpanel setups).

Thanks Brogan, so, i assume, this is not harmful to set install folder permission to 0777, now, the add-on "Install & Upgrade" needs to set install folder permission to 0777 and xenforo upgrade needs it as 0755, is their any in between solution? otherwise, every time we need to set these permissions manually.

The server error you're getting is from a server configuration that simply stops running code in directories that are 0777 (or likely with files that are 0666). There isn't anything that can be done about that by XenForo; only your host can change it, but it's a security decision so it's unlikely to change (it's a reasonable one at that, generally).

Depending on your server configuration, you may not need to change the permissions for that add-on, but you should post any questions in the add-on's thread.

Hi, Mike, actually i am not complaining about anything, i just want to know, is this practice OK or not, my worry is only security, also normally i am changing the install folder after upgrading which sometime i feel not good specially if for some reasons i need to downgrade the board, so, i only need experts opinion in this regard.

Top Bottom