XF 1.3 Install Confusion

RO.

Edit - Working through the install process, please see most recent comments

Last edited:
Yeah I mean I'm familiar with FileZilla. but when you buy a board with IP.Board they give you a host name, a username and a password. you enter those and that's it.

Here, I've no idea what's going on.

Yeah I mean I'm familiar with FileZilla. but when you buy a board with IP.Board they give you a host name, a username and a password. you enter those and that's it.

With Xenforo you bought a software package, not a host. You'll need a hosting package to run the software from. The host usually provides those details.

Reactions: RO.
Found the deets. There's a lot of stuff on iPage to pick through and I'm unfamiliar with that too.

Tell you what mate it's a good job it's already paid for. It's doubled the price of XF in my mind though.

Edit - yeah iPage is a hosting service which I paid for some months back Jake.

Kay so all the files have now been uploaded to my host.
  1. In the set of files and directories you just uploaded, you will see 2 folders: data and internal_data.
  2. These two directories must be set to world writeable (CHMOD 0777) or give the IUSR_ Full Control in Windows

Apologies I don't understand this bit. This is setting the numeric value in the folders' file permissions to 0777 is that right?

Apologies I don't understand this bit. This is setting the numeric value in the folders' file permissions to 0777 is that right?

Yep.

Run /install. If those directories are not writable it will tell you so. Sometimes they are already writable without any action required on your part.

Yeah it seems to have just allowed it. The 'write' boxes became checked when i did that.

Edit - If any admin bods are reading, maybe changing that instruction to:

1. The numeric values inside the file permissions of these two directories must be set to world writeable (CHMOD 0777) or give the IUSR_ Full Control in Windows
... would help folks like myself who aren't brilliant at this sort of stuff.

"Direct your browser to the install directory within the URL that corresponds to your upload. (e.g., www.example.com/community/install/)."

Having trouble with this. I've set the nameservers to iPage (host) at the registrar, but if I try the domain http://morpethcommunity.com/morpeth/install/ it just goes to the GoDaddy park page.

The DNS can take time to update. In the meantime most web hosts give you an alternate URL to access your site (instead of your domain name).

Reactions: RO.
It's like a maze iPage's CP Jake. Had a good look can't see one. Normally it's pretty quick but I guess it's bound to be if IP.Board are doing the hosting. (I'm testing XF out. might bring more boards over if the costs justified)

Ok though, it sounds like the URL I used was accurate, so it must be the host lagging. I'll give it a few hours and report back. Thanks for the assistance everyone.

Top Bottom