• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Inspired or ripped?

Erik

this is an inspired version of the element style created by vbstyles.net
I'm starting to get a little upset by these so-called "inspired styles." You realize that if you are not the person who designed the style originally, you are essentially stealing intellectual property?

The fact that the current version of the style only exists for another piece of software does not give you the authorization to essentially duplicate the style without permission.http://xenforo.com/community/members/erik.103/

it looks nothing element using same colors but making a whole diff thing is not stealing I.P imho in the future even making a custom skin will lead people suing each other for using same colors even 1 color will make people think this skin will be stealing intellectual property 0o which is crazy

Erik , I and many others I imagine like or love your initial release called Flexile...

Regardless if you call it inspired by blah, blah or not inspired by blah , blah.

The fact remains that sylers of skins have been pinching ideas for colours or designs since forums where invented, there are only so many colours you can use effectivley with another colour to get a style that is both striking & simple, easy on the eye...

Taking skins for vBulletin as a yard stick , there are / were hundreds of FREE skins available alongside those that have to be bought and the FREE ones were on the scene first and foremost... Then along came some guys who altered them slightly by adding a few refinements here and there and started charging for them... The point I am trying to get over here is , there WILL ALWAYS be an overlap of what appears to be copied work.

Rather than trying to put someone off from making skins for XF more so with XF being in its early stages of development someone with your undoubted talent and inteligence should be encouraging and maybe offering some guidence to stimulate more growth...

Dont knock someone because they are honest enough to say they have been INSPIRED by a skin designed for vB , made by someone else...

Regards...

I'm starting to get a little upset by these so-called "inspired styles." You realize that if you are not the person who designed the style originally, you are essentially stealing intellectual property?

The fact that the current version of the style only exists for another piece of software does not give you the authorization to essentially duplicate the style without permission.

I do tend to agree with you Erik about some of the so called"inspired styles" that should not be published without permission from the original designer, but in this case, the skin is only inspired and not harm is done.

I think we can all agree that the skin is quite different from the original :)

(That is of course if the OP was referring to the Element skin from vbstyles.com as there is not vbstyles.net)

forumhome_in.webp

(That is of course if the OP was referring to the Element skin from vbstyles.com as there is not vbstyles.net)
oh yes, quite different.

I designed and coded the original one for vB 3 and eventually ported it and improved it for vB 4.

I have no problem with this Inspired version at all, other that remotely use the same color scheme is completely different and original.

Looks good Karev, keep up the good work :)
Yep I knew that was yours. :)
It's good of you to encourage new designers, Miko.

I designed and coded the original one for vB 3 and eventually ported it and improved it for vB 4.

I have no problem with this Inspired version at all, other that remotely use a similar color scheme, Karev skin is completely different and original.

Looks good Karev, keep up the good work :)
thanks miko for your encouragement and your words , i feel good now ;)

I do tend to agree with you Erik about some of the so called "inspired styles" that should not be published without permission from the original designer, but in this case, the skin is only inspired and not harm is done.

View attachment 5334

Ok. :) I tried to go to vbstyles.net to compare this style to the original but vbstyles.net doesn't exist, so I couldn't.

The other so-called "inspired" style I was referring to was CyberAP's release of Lustrous. No offense to CyberAP, but that's pretty much an exact copy of the original style:

New: http://xenforo.com/community/attachments/screenshot1-png.5248/
Original: http://www.forumthemes.com/demo/vbulletin/index.php?styleid=24

This was the only example I had to go off of, so I just assumed this was another "inspired" style that was almost an exact conversion.

I don't necessarily have a problem with this personally, but I just wanted to point out that you could get yourself in trouble because you are technically violating the intellectual property rights of the original style's creator. :)

Nice work karev. :)

The other so-called "inspired" style I was referring to was CyberAP's release of Lustrous. No offense to CyberAP, but that's pretty much an exact copy of the original style:

New: http://xenforo.com/community/attachments/screenshot1-png.5248/
Original: http://www.forumthemes.com/demo/vbulletin/index.php?styleid=24
I said in the first post:
Here is my conversion of Lustrous style called Whisper.
:)
Also all the images that you can see there were created by myself (logo and all the gradients).
The style was deleted some time ago because I used copyrighted icons, but I updated the style and removed them.

I said in the first post:

:)
Also all the images that you can see there were created by myself (logo and all the gradients).
Unless you're the original creator of the style, it would be considered ripping their work, unless its just strongly influenced (Meaning the styles look similar, but there have been enough changes to it to make it something new).

Sorry but colors have no copyright :)
Colors might not, but when I look at your theme, and it looks like a slightly changed one (Entirely due to the platform), thats considered ripping.

Done responding because I don't want to take this thread off topic, but Peggy or someone should possibly split the topic.

Colors might not, but when I look at your theme, and it looks like a slightly changed one (Entirely due to the platform), thats considered ripping.

Done responding because I don't want to take this thread off topic, but Peggy or someone should possibly split the topic.
Just because it 'looks like something' doesn't mean anything at all. I used only the same colors in my theme so it's not illegal.

Just because it 'looks like something' doesn't mean anything at all. I used only the same colors in my theme so it's not illegal.

If that is the case... I hope you don't mind if I'm going to release a Set of Avatars inspired by the colors of yours :)

Obviously I'm not serious about it, but please statement like that are only going to trigger post like this and the few above me.

You are a smart guy, you have some good skills, we can all agree to that, we also all know that you originally ripped the status images from forumthemes and then when you got busted you corrected the skin which is very nice and the right thing to do.

So why keep going on about how you are in the right and that colors don't matter and blah blah ....

Wouldn't be more graceful , taking the lesson of not using other people images and move on with more respect for other people work?

I'm sure your next skin is going to be great and 100% original.

makingapoint.webp 3.webp

Here is my conversion of Lustrous style called Whisper.

Statements do not match up.

You admitted that you 'converted' the style, meaning you tried to make it look as close as possible as the original, and then released it as -your- work, even if you mentioned that it was originally theirs.

If you owned a license of that style, and you converted it for personal use, and used it, that is one thing (If it is within the licensing agreement of that company), but releasing it even if you did recreate the the images and did the template edits and such is still theft.

It's a lot harder to be creative and 'do your own thing' that's why many people take the low road and rip other's work then spend all their energy trying to defend their actions. Seen it all too often for far too long. Tends to make one tired.

Top Bottom