• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Inspired or ripped?

No one ever said its a real source, however something like IP is unlikely to be made up on there, right?

But you can go believe that everything on Wikipedia is made up of fairies and unicorns if thats what you like :).

Wikipedia is garbage.

It's actually almost as bad as this debate... although it's definitely shown me some companies I wont do business with and saved me some time.... so that is a good thing.

pop2.gif

Wikipedia is garbage.

It's actually almost as bad as this debate... although it's definitely shown me some companies I wont do business with and saved me some time.... so that is a good thing.
Your opinion is rightly justified! I just don't care for it :).

If you're unwilling to do business with a company that is willing to fight for the rights to their work, thats probably for the best. I know if I was commercially selling anything, I'd hate to have you as a customer, because you clearly do not respect the work that you paid for, and it sounds like you're fine with using ripped or stolen property :rolleyes:.

And this post wasn't so much a debate as angst over someones oversight in what they had done, and than disgust in how they tried to justify their actions.

Your opinion is rightly justified! I just don't care for it :).

If you're unwilling to do business with a company that is willing to fight for the rights to their work, thats probably for the best. I know if I was commercially selling anything, I'd hate to have you as a customer, because you clearly do not respect the work that you paid for, and it sounds like you're fine with using ripped or stolen property :rolleyes:.

And this post wasn't so much a debate as angst over someones oversight in what they had done, and than disgust in how they tried to justify their actions.

That's funny.. I don't think I ever said anything about you... but you want to jump down my throat about how I don't respect the work I paid for? I've given credit where credit is due every time... and your assumption that I think it's OK to steal the work of others just made an ass of you.

once again... :rolls eyes:

There's no reason for anyone to attack anyone if we're mature enough to talk like sane people.

it looks nothing element using same colors but making a whole diff thing is not stealing I.P imho in the future even making a custom skin will lead people suing each other for using same colors even 1 color will make people think this skin will be stealing intellectual property 0o which is crazy
Kinda what vB is doing to xenForo.

LOL - I just dont take kindly to the way he chose to attack me... that's all :)
Calling something linked from Wikipedia (Which was correct, if you're knowledgeable of the subject) garbage was kind of an asshat move yourself right? While Wikipedia clearly isn't the absolute authority on anything, the majority of information is correct, and the cited information tends to be official, and or understandable for the subject.

And as I said, if you find that you're unable to do business because they feel the need to protect themselves from theft, what I said in the previous post stands, because thats the general feeling of people who have ripped or stolen work from myself and others in the past, and those really aren't the type of people you want as customers.

I'd make an excuse for being an ass, but I gave up being polite and holding my tongue when this community took a turn for the worst. Most the time, I can barely bring myself to do anything but check for updates, check new modifications, and possibly find some new information, as the rest of this site tends to be drivel (At no fault to the developers or staff, I actually respect them and the product, but the rest... Not at all :)).

Just like the post regarding copyrights of modifications/designs, this becomes a designer vs consumer issue. Designers need to be able to protect their works, because people feel that they're capable of either copying, or taking credit for what we have done (Not everyone, but a vast majority, many of which should know better). It seems consumers don't understand -why- we get all up in arms on subjects such as this, and while I no longer do work for others (Other than friends), I remember just how often I had to deal with all of this garbage :rolleyes:.

Wow it's really a shame that you have such a sorry view of this community. Every forum has it's ups and downs, and if they're lucky, they bounce back. That's what I see happening here.

At any rate, there's really no excuse for throwing common courtesy out the window, IMO.

Peggy, very true, Forsaken, I understand where you are coming from.
And that's part of the problem.

Oh I don't agree with this statement at all. Someone had to come up with something from nothing at some point, in order for there to be something to copy, or to be inspired by.

The human brain is smarter than people give it credit for.

Actually the human brain records everything as symbols. Symbols have images, smell, sound, and feelings attached to them. A creative thought is a cluster of these symbols. So basically, every single creative thought is inspired or derived from something. I cannot find the scientific term for it at the moment(should have paid better attention in class), but it states that IT IS impossible to think of something it hasn't thought of before. It can only mathematically calculate and "play tetris" with symbols to generate various creative ideas or outputs, but it cannot create a symbol without experience, or ego sensations and neuro sensations.

I think it's quite acceptable to make a skin *LOOK* like another skin. If the code is the same, that's stealing. Otherwise, it's all fair game.

In terms of fairness, I don't know the law ... if a new beverage came out ... called itself "Pepsi" and said it was "inspired by Coke". I think that isn't fair. You are essentially leveraging the popularity of another Product's name and associating it to your new creation. I would be surprised if a skin maker ever said there new skin was "inspired by" a skin that was unpopular.

I think alot of these Skin debates (inspired or ripped) might be irrelevant. Skin makers should compete on features mostly, not just colors. Skin purchasers know that Xenforo is quite easy to skin. Hopefully skin purchasers demand more than color tweaks and minor changes.

Top Bottom