XF 1.2 Inserting special characters, such as the em dash

jauburn

How does one insert special characters into this relatively new xenforo editor? I'm thinking of, for instance, the em dash, en dash, other special characters...

Is there a way?

As long as HTML can display it, like the en dash: –, it can be inserted as if you were using word or any other computer based editor: —ˇ¦

How do you insert them when you are writing your literature?

As long as HTML can display it, like the en dash: –, it can be inserted as if you were using word or any other computer based editor: —ˇ¦

Computer based editor? Huh? Is that some kind of joke? What is —ˇ¦?

How do you insert them when you are writing your literature?

In Word and most other word processing packages, there's a keyboard shortcut for an em dash. In Windows, hold down Ctrl-Alt-hyphen. Or get the symbol from Insert Symbols.

How is one supposed to know that "—ˇ¦?" inserts an em dash with redactor? And how does one even enter that silly string? Give me a break--another programmerism? I think, with your response (which is appreciated), you're proving my point about the inaccessibility of this editor.

Those are three random special characters. I inserted both an em-dash and an en-dash through standard tools on my Mac. Its available in every text area on my computer. I'm sure Windows has something similar. They should also be preserved on a copy-paste from any standard editor.

@Jeremy was only giving an example that those characters could be inserted.

If the characters aren't on a keyboard (most are), then you could use the windows character map to copy them to the clipboard then paste them in, or get the unicode id to enter them using the unicode character entry shortcut (alt and then the number using the numerical keypad).

Those are three random special characters. I inserted both an em-dash and an en-dash through standard tools on my Mac. Its available in every text area on my computer. I'm sure Windows has something similar. They should also be preserved on a copy-paste from any standard editor.

Windows has the character map, so yes - there is something similar.

Liam

Top Bottom