1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Innovation vs Imitation: A Call to Arms

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Dismal Shadow, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Dismal Shadow

Dismal Shadow Active Member

So I am not going to copy and paste but quoting from a good developer for SimpleDesk a helpdesk solution for SMF.
    One of Arantor's philosophies is 'innovate, not imitate' when it comes to doing something. If you're going to do something that makes it distinctive and unique, and SimpleDesk does that in a number of ways.
    http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=381193.msg2625334#msg2625334

So the question is will Xenforo do the same thing...innovate and do something new?

2. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

It's very hard to truly innovate, as something has almost always been thought of or done before, no matter how obscure it might be.

3. Dismal Shadow

Dismal Shadow Active Member

"Immitate it and innovate it with lots of cool features, it's innovation, no? Sure, most things have been done before. So, take what's been done and do something new with it. The potential for doing that, as opposed to just sticking with what's been done already and doing it again, is infinite."~ Arantor

4. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Some packages do features very well, others not so well. If a developer discounts a suggestion because "X" does it that way, I most likely won't be using their software. IPB gives me that impression at times, and quite frankly, pisses me off.

Abomination and Anthony Parsons like this.
  5. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I don't care if it's Innovation or Imitation as long as there is progress.

anotheralias likes this.
  6. GodForum.com

GodForum.com Well-Known Member

'innovate, not imitate'

There is nothing new under the sun ... reinventing the wheel is pretty useless ...

all XF has to do is to implement the best practices that are already proven and successful elsewhere ...

but some like to make things more complicated. :rolleyes:

7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

XF is already showing that Mike and Kier are going for some innovative designs. I do hope that we will see more innovation. But at the same time, concepts that have been proven to work need to be implemented as well. Take the best of both worlds.

8. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Innovation vs Imitation: I believe XenForo's frontend UI is a... revelation.

9. rastaX

rastaX Member

Everything that can be invented has been invented.
    Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899

Of course it's an urban legend, but makes the point.............

10. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

Whilst I will say I can see plenty of imitation in xenforo, I can also see plenty of innovation as well... ie. doing things superior / new to the others. Features and wants are near identical between all forum platforms nowadays, its just a matter of whether they are included or not. Xenforo seems to have a few tricks unseen elsewhere, and from what I read into (assume) from some of Kier's and Mike's posts, I feel there are things they are holding back which just don't exist in other platforms at all which will be a nice surprise to us all.

11. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Innovation starts with imitation.

I love how innovative XenForo has been with things, and yes, I can see some imitation, but they have done things in a way to work extremely with with the system.

12. Kuma

Kuma Active Member

There are times when something(s) cannot be improved on. Not using it for the sake of not wanting to copy it is silly. When someone hands you something that works well there is no reason to reinvent the it without actually improving it.

I do not think you should outright steal the code, or design. But incorporating how it works into your own cog is possibly a good move.

We would not be here today if we did not borrow or take an idea from time to time.

Enigma likes this.
  13. Jeffin

Jeffin Well-Known Member

iPhone is a good example.

14. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

I've said this before and it bears repeating. Implement what is best and what makes the most sense. Whether it turns out to be innovation or imitation is frankly irrelevant.