Lack of interest Inline moderation more detail features

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Danny88

Used to be in vB before and I would like to suggest two features in inline moderation that XF should add them too

1) A form to fill a link of thread which will going to merge with other thread. Rather than selecting two threads for inline merging task.

Snap2.gif Snap3.gif

2) Instead of dead link, a merged thread link should be alive and it should point exactly as postid into a new merged thread.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Used to be in vB before and I would like to suggest two features in inline moderation that XF should add them too

1) A form to fill a link of thread which will going to merge with other thread. Rather than selecting two threads for inline merging task.
No please don't revert to that. The vBulletin method was a PITA and reverting to that would be a step backwards, changing a one-step process back into an inconvenient two-step process where you need to copy and save the destination URL before starting the merge process. One of the benefits of migrating to Xenforo was NOT having to do that anymore.

Last edited:
I’m curious how you doing moderation task in one step except the one-click spam button? For eg you need at least 2 clicks on moving a thread - similar as vB.

My request actually would ease thread merging moderation rather than to use searching on finding a single thread to be merged to the other. Despite having a non-English site than can’t utilise stemming search where our language was not in the list would make our moderation a bit inconvenience.

My request actually would ease thread merging moderation rather than to use searching on finding a single thread to be merged to the other.
Hmm ... you don't have to use search to merge two threads?
  1. While viewing the first thread, open the optional menu and click Select for Moderation
  2. Navigate to the second thread and do the same
  3. Select Merge Threads from the moderation bar and click Go
  4. Select the destinaton thread and merge options and click Merge
This could be streamlined a bit, but all in all I think it is easier than having to copy and paste a URL.

Hmm ... you don't have to use search to merge two threads?
  1. While viewing the first thread, open the optional menu and click Select for Moderation
  2. Navigate to the second thread and do the same
  3. Select Merge Threads from the moderation bar and click Go
  4. Select the destinaton thread and merge options and click Merge
This could be streamlined a bit, but all in all I think it is easier than having to copy and paste a URL.

Yea i knew that.

It’s hard to describe here but there are some several factors :-

- XES seems ineffective like our previous sphinx search in vb. I had examined some keywords it didn’t work well on showing results. I eventually using google search searching keywords with our domain when i get fed up with ES keep showing no results.

- One-click searching showing both posts & threads which is really horrible to find only threads unless you would to go for Advanced Search.

- Most of the time moderators will do ‘Search This Forum’ or ‘Elsewhere’ out from the page of a thread. From here they will get results of another similar threads but this is where they get trouble. Out of 7 from 10 they will not getting both threads showing in search results even Search Title Only has selected. That is why sometimes copying a first visit thread url is necessary to paste into form URL.

I believe if you are in moderator tasks position then you will see how relevant is the form URL.

Most of the time moderators will do ‘Search This Forum’ or ‘Elsewhere’ out from the page of a thread. From here they will get results of another similar threads but this is where they get trouble. Out of 7 from 10 they will not getting both threads showing in search results even Search Title Only has selected. That is why sometimes copying a first visit thread url is necessary to paste into form URL.
That doesn't seem to make any sense to me. You're saying that your moderators have trouble to find a thread to merge the existing thread into. How is being able to copy a thread URL going to solve this problem if I can't find the thread to begin with? And once I'm able to find the thread, what do I gain from copying the URL?

Also there is virtually no difference between the two systems.
vB) You open thread A, copy the URL, go to thread B, open the merge form, paste the URL, done.
XF) You open thread A, click a checkbox, go to thread B, click a checkbox, select merge, done.
The system gets rid of the error-prone approach if URL copying and also opens more possibilities (such as merging multiple threads at once, merging from the thread list, etc.).

I had Merge issues as well, it's a learning curve basically and you may need to post a mod tutorial.

After a conversion to Xenforo, it's a good idea anyway to post a series of how-tos for members and another series for moderators to help them adapt to the new forum software.

Rather than trying to make Xenforo like vBulletin, show your members how to use Xenforo. For moderators especially, the feedback I've had is Xenforo makes things a whole lot easier and more intuitive once you get used to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom