1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Infractions vs Warnings (import from vB)

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Sim, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

I'm finally about to migrate our largest vBulletin v3.8.x board over to XenForo, but I have a question about how people are structuring their XenForo warnings after migrating from the vBulletin model.

We currently have a large number of different types of vBulletin infractions defined - and most have the option to make them into a vBulletin warning (no infraction points accrued).

My current pattern is to give a "warning" infraction (0 points) for first time offenders where I want to educate them about the rules, or for offences which aren't strictly breaking the rules, but are very close and I want to educate the user that if they continue with that type of behaviour, they will receive full infractions and potentially get banned.

I then have the automatic ban system in vBulletin set up such that most serious infractions will see a user banned on their 3rd full infraction ... basically, a "three strikes and you're out" system.

Given that XenForo doesn't have the concept of being able to "warn" a warning - how have people managed the transition from vBulletin to XenForo around dealing with vB infractions vs XenForo warnings?

I will note that I won't be allowing warnings to be defined or modified by the moderators at the time they are given - everything will be defined in advance.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Simply by creating Minor and Major warnings and educating staff to their use.
  3. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Well-Known Member

Yes, you could do (e.g.)

Being a naughty boy (1st offence) = 0 pts
    Being a naughty boy (2+ offence) = 5 pts
    or whatever fits...
  4. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

Thanks - I was thinking I might have to do something along those lines.
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Or make the points editable and just have a single warning.