XF 1.5 Individual member permission

ErnieW

Ive searched around quite a bit but can't seem to find the answer to my question...

I can't seem to figure out how to restrict an individual member from viewing a certain forum.
If I create a user group named 'restricted' with that restriction, then that group needs to be below the 'registered' user group in terms of allowed permissions. So simply adding the user to the restricted group doesn't really work.
Also, there are certain members that I need to restrict access to, to certain forums. So I feel that creating more user groups isn't the best approach.

That all being said... How does one go about restricting a certain member to view a certain forum/node?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Why do they need to be "Below" registered user? If you Revoke, no matter what group gives them that permission it can't be gained. It was revoked by the other group period.

You can edit individual user permissions here admin.php?user-permissions/ but thats not what you need.

You editing the node permissions adding revoke for that user group right?

Well... In another thread Jake recommended to always set the "registered" group at the lowest permissions.

Being that the "restricted" group is even lower in viewing privileges, it would therefore be considered "below" the registered group. I think...

I think I'm fairly clear on how to set individual user permissions for "across the board" (for lack of a better term).

But I can't figure out how to restrict this one member from viewing this one node.

Last edited:
You will also find the recomendation from Xenforo to have ALL users as registered users. Then add secondary groups to effect them. Now TBG for example we dont do it like that but it is simpler for everything except our use of the user banner system.

Registered user should be what you want everyone except guests and users you wish to restrict. You can do it as a primary group thats not really the issue you are having.

So you are in the node permissions screen and then permissions for a particular node and then clicking on the user group and then setting the ability view node to never?

upload_2016-2-5_22-46-38.webp

I do apologize its never not revoke that removes the ability to gain access.

By golly I think it clicked! I see now how this can be made to work by using a restricted user group. The way you've explained this opened my eyes!

Let me go check if this works. I think it will.

By golly I think it clicked! I see now how this can be made to work by using a restricted user group. The way you've explained this opened my eyes!

Let me go check if this works. I think it will.

Thats the thing about the xenforo permissions system. As soon as you get it, you get it. I honestly see little to no difference between it and the vB permissions system but what do I know. Once you figure it out it works and you can bend it to your will. I admit its kinda of icky restricting nodes but everything else is nice.

Navigate to the node tree.

Click on 'Permission' on the right hand side for the node in question.

Enter the member name in the 'User Name' field at the top right and click the [Set Permissions] button.

Revoke the 'View node' permission.

Top Bottom