1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indignant Artist - SleekVb XenForo Style Review

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GCSkye, Dec 10, 2010.

1. GCSkye

GCSkye Active Member

Forum topics.png canyoujustbemine.png
    1. Post Preview | 2. Homepage Preview

For the most part this template templates design is complete. The images above are the PSD preview images, the template has not entered coding just yet.

The plan is to release the template with and without the sidebar, both fixed (1000px) and fluid available. Only the fixed version will include the no sidebar option.

The preview of the homepage included in the PSD screenshots above is of the no sidebar template.

Feedback appreciated, hoping to get a few XenForo user changes in before release :)

Full Size Screenshots
    http://sleekvb.net/img/firstlook/indignantartist-home.png
    http://sleekvb.net/img/firstlook/indignantartist-post.png

krstep, 3rd AnGle and Allan like this.
  2. Coby

Coby Active Member

Quotes are practically unreadable.

krstep and random like this.
  3. Allan

Allan Well-Known Member

I like it, great job ;)

GCSkye likes this.
  4. 3rd AnGle

3rd AnGle Well-Known Member

Very nice.

GCSkye likes this.
  5. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, does your computer/laptop have a matte monitor or a glossy monitor? Because after I switched to a glossy monitor, I couldn't stand black styles anymore, even my own. The blacks are too black and if the text is a subtle color it just blends into the background.

Although I suspect that clear fonts (? the antialias thingy) has something to do with that text issue - it's a bad combination, subtle plus fuzzy text.

GCSkye likes this.
  6. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

Quote text is easily fixed with CSS edits. The quote box itself could also be made with CSS 3, but it's a pain in the butt to do double the work to support non-CSS 3 supporting browsers.

Personally I like the style. I'd like to see a little more yellow used subtly here and there.

GCSkye likes this.
  7. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

Looks very nice. I agree with the comments about the quotes, the text needs to be a bit brighter, at least on my screen.

8. Coby

Coby Active Member

My computer has a matte screen. On the right angle, it's more readable, however moving even slightly off centre makes it difficult.

My suggestion would be to just bring the contrast between the quote text and the background up a little bit by lightening the text. Hope that's helpful.

Apart from that, it looks good. Nice work.

GCSkye and anotheralias like this.
  9. GCSkye

GCSkye Active Member

Hey Coby,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can do. :)

Hey OSS 117,

Any good tips for where you would like to see the yellow? Originally on the homepage I had the grey dividing forum lines the same yellow as everything else. I felt that made everything look a little off so I changed them to the grey. I would be happy to take suggestions.

Yellow quote font? ><

Hey Anotheralias,

Glad you stated this. A lot of people don't realize how much the type of monitor you have can effect the way images appear on monitors. Thou in this case, they grey on grey is a little much :)

10. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

I didn't realize it myself until I got the glossy monitor - which I hate to pieces. For that reason I can't even comment on a black style, because I know I'm seeing a skewed version of it.

11. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

same here

12. GCSkye

GCSkye Active Member

The main goal in the creation of the quote on this template was to have it not be a big focus, but to keep the focus on the text at hand. I'll be sure to have lighter text on the quote without making it white.

13. OSS 117

Before I answer, is that even yellow? I thought I saw yellow last night, but it looks orange to me now. I must have thought it was yellow.

14. GCSkye

GCSkye Active Member

More of a burnt gold.

15. maidos

maidos Active Member

it looks ok, but if the skin is intended for commercial i wouldnt think this would be a great hit

16. GCSkye

GCSkye Active Member

Any feedback or just posting? Do you have a link to a skin you've purchased in the past, would like to see what you feel is commercial. :p

17. maidos

maidos Active Member

http://www.skinbox.net/browse/live-demo/skin/113
    i would definately buy this skin if this was made available on xenforo.
    just imo your skin looks just too plain and the orange color isnt exactly well picked. couldhave used something else and the design look very basic

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Wow to be honest, thats your best yet, if I had a gfx forum or gaming forum, I would buy that. Looks nice.

GCSkye likes this.
  19. GCSkye

GCSkye Active Member

Thanks Terrorz. :)

20. OSS 117

Pick a darker burnt yellow for the horizontal line that lines up with the search field and give a 1 px horizontal line on top of each button in the main menu to accent it. Not too bright, something a little dim.