1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Increasing spam on my little board

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Pavle123, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Pavle123

Pavle123 Active Member

I never had issues with XF and spam on my board.
    Lately (last 2 weeks) I noticed spammers started to post acne threatment and other spammy crap posts.

Why do I see these spammers all of a sudden?

My forum http://goo.gl/uHq06u

I am using the Google I am not a robot. Is there a better option and how to stop spammers?

2. Pavle123

Pavle123 Active Member

Anyone from the support?
  3. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Use the Questions and Answers.
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You will just need to set up all the spam options accordingly, based on your site and the type of spammers.

A good Q&A, which is changed regularly will stop robots.

Nothing will stop determined human spammers.
  5. Pavle123

Pavle123 Active Member

Thanks for the reply guys.

Damn, I really believed this "new inoperative technology" that google announced will work. Well for me its crap.

I believe these are real human spammers, but not quite sure how to see that?
  6. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Only with good Q&A can you see that.
    A bot cannot answer a good question.

What colour is the snow?

Thirty plus twenty?
    Fifty (50)

They are easy for even a bot.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Pavle123 likes this.
  7. Pavle123

Pavle123 Active Member

Even with decent Q and A, I still receive spam registrations.

My board has 100 members only. Why is it interesting to them? I mean obviously those are human registrations, as my Q and A is specific and only people who are familiar with hobby will know the answer.

Is there any additional way, like require a new user first post to be manually approved?
  8. Brogan

9. Pavle123

Pavle123 Active Member

Thanks @Brogan will do that right away. Ive seen some forums having 5secounds countdown delay, does that work? Is that a resource plugin or something else?
  10. Brogan

There is a countdown/delay built in to the registration form by default.
    Pavle123 likes this.
  11. Fred.

Fred. Well-Known Member

Just set up all these services, get a Akismet, Project Honypot and Stopforumspam API key and you spam protection will be near perfect.

Of course you can't stop human spammers with this. But they go in moderation until I approve them.
  12. Pavle123

Pavle123 Active Member

Thanks @Fred.

If you guys have some other tips on preventing spam, please let me know. Just few weeks ago I never had a spam registration. But now, even though my forum is small, I get 5-6 per day. Very annoying.
    Fred. likes this.
  13. Fred.

Fred. Well-Known Member

Oh, If you set up a WordPress blog on wordpress.com you get a free Akismet key. ;)
    That's how I got mine.
  14. Pavle123

Pavle123 Active Member

Thanks Fred! I am using Akismet on WP, but I do not understand where to put API in the XenForo?
    Is it like separate resource or its something inside default settings/registration settings?
  15. Fred.

Fred. Well-Known Member

It should be under options - Spam Management

Pavle123 likes this.