1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increase thread title length

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Aivaras, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Aivaras

Aivaras Active Member

Here is my situation:

I use thread title fields to input the titles of real publications. About 30% of them have titles that are longer than the present 100 character limit applied by XenForo to thread titles.

Please, increase the maximum character length of thread titles to accommodate many cases of what titles actually are in the world of literature and writing in general.
    Optic, SAS1024 and sami simo like this.
  2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

3. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That suggestion is for node titles, not threads. ;)
  4. Aivaras

Aivaras Active Member

Yes and no, I'm talking about thread titles. And the point isn't just "I want this or that" but to give a real-life example why such an increase is a reasonable expectation.
  5. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Oops. :oops:
  6. James

James Well-Known Member

7. Aivaras

Aivaras Active Member

Thanks for the reference. Unfortunately, it might not. Please, read this.
  8. jamalfree

jamalfree Active Member

should be a field in the setting and can we choose number character of title
  9. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

The thread title is store as 'varchar' which in newer version of mysql supports a length of 65,535, however in mysql versions previous to 5.0.3 varchar length can only be up to 150 (current setting in db structure) and since the xf requirement for mysql is version >=5.0 a change like that would besides requiring the obvious addition of that code for that option you were talking about, would also either require the datatype the title is stored as changing (if desired title length is > 150) or xf would have to drop support for mysql <5.0.3 and increase the value to what the maximum option length could be set at.

That said, I don't disagree with your idea because I can see cases where it is validly needed though I don't know if I have ever needed a title longer that 150 characters personally.

I am just pointing out that if I were responsible for making these choices/changes...I would consider it for the 2.0 rewrite rather than changing the db structure for what exists currently but again that is just my opinion considering all realities of the situation. It is also my opinion that if your host is still running a 12 year old version of mysql that you should consider switching hosts, so I see no reason in a 2.0 xf release to not raise the minimum mysql version to >=5.1 as 5.0.x had it's last release in march of 2012 and is now EOL.
    grahamperrin likes this.
  10. Aivaras

Aivaras Active Member

150 would already be an improvement shrinking the percentage of truncated titles to a smaller minority. But 100 is a real issue.
    KiF likes this.
  11. Optic

Optic Well-Known Member

Bumping and liking this as I would like to see this increased too and/or have an option to change this so it persists through forum upgrades.