As designed Incorrect indication of usergroup assignments

bzcomputers

Affected version
This can be seen on a fresh XF 2.1 install with the only user in the system being the original account created when installing.

When viewing the "User details" under Edit User it correctly displays user as Administrative and Moderating.

---------------------------------------------------------
If you then click on the "Super administrator" link at the top of the Edit User page.

The details on that page incorrectly displays only the Administrative user group selected. It is missing the selection for Moderating.

I'm not sure if this is just an indication error or whether there are permission issues involved too.

This is to be expected. Users are added (only) to the administrative group by virtue of having that box checked. Users are added to the moderating group by virtue of having the corresponding box checked when adding/editing them as moderators. Each of these pages are only meant to display what that record affects, and not a cumulative set of groups they belong to.

This is to be expected. Users are added (only) to the administrative group by virtue of having that box checked. Users are added to the moderating group by virtue of having the corresponding box checked when adding/editing them as moderators. Each of these pages are only meant to display what that record affects, and not a cumulative set of groups they belong to.

I understand what you are saying but it does seem odd that I can then make a selection on a currently un-selected box that makes no actual change to the usergroup the user is associated with. It seems it would be more intuitive for the system to check if other usergroup affiliations already exist and show all that exist for that user as selected. Shouldn't matter whether I'm looking at it through the "Edit User", "Edit Administrator", or the "Edit Moderator" page they should all indicate the same thing - or at least that is what makes sense to me.

For the reasons described, this is expected.

The checkboxes here are showing the user groups which are specific to this user’s assignment to this role (role being either Administrator or Moderator in this case).

It serves two purposes:

1. When adding this user to a role, you can automatically add them to a group which will give them the appropriate permissions.
2. If the user is ever removed from the role, they will automatically be removed from the user group.

As mentioned by Jeremy, this doesn’t aim to be a cumulative view of their groups, it specifically only shows the specific groups which were applied to the user when they were made into an Administrator or Moderator.

Top Bottom