Include Staff in the Member's Dropdown ?

Notable implies what it really is. Traditionally, when you say "Members" and link to a list of members, there is a user expectation that its the full members list. By stating its only 'Notable Members', you break expectations and can now limit and enhance what's displayed.

A staff list isn't that important or widely used (how often did you visit a forum leaders page?), so I can't see any real benefit of adding a direct link to the drop down. Staff are notable members of the forum, so it falls into place.

Notable implies what it really is. Traditionally, when you say "Members" and link to a list of members, there is a user expectation that its the full members list. By stating its only 'Notable Members', you break expectations and can now limit and enhance what's displayed.
With this logic, the tab, itself, should be renamed 'Notable Members' as clicking it will take you to /members/, which is really 'notable members'. The route should be changed to /notable-members/, too.

A staff list isn't that important or widely used (how often did you visit a forum leaders page?), so I can't see any real benefit of adding a direct link to the drop down. Staff are notable members of the forum, so it falls into place.
Yeah, not that important...but regular members do like to check the list to see who's on staff. But meh...not that big of a deal.

With this logic, the tab, itself, should be renamed 'Notable Members' as clicking it will take you to /members/, which is really 'notable members'. The route should be changed to /notable-members/, too.

I'll agree with the tab being slightly misleading but my argument for that would be in 2 parts:
  1. Length
  2. "Members" is encompassing of the actual links, and describes them all. Where as notable members, wouldn't.

I'll agree with the tab being slightly misleading but my argument for that would be in 2 parts:
  1. Length
  2. "Members" is encompassing of the actual links, and describes them all. Where as notable members, wouldn't.

True. Honestly, I've never been a big fan of having a members tab at all. It just doesn't fit. The main navigation, IMHO, should be for main features/content -> Home, Forums, Blogs, etc. The other stuff -> Members, Help, etc., I feel should be separate.

I take the point, but if the forum has blogs, gallery, wiki, plus numerous other major add-ons then the members pages no longer relate to just the forum but encompass everything.

The new pages can be extended adding tabs for other content/achievements.

In which case a separate tab makes sense.

I take the point, but if the forum has blogs, gallery, wiki, plus numerous other major add-ons then the members pages no longer relate to just the forum but encompass everything.

The new pages can be extended adding tabs for other content/achievements.

In which case a separate tab makes sense.

Was this in response to me? The point I was trying to get at is that it's not a major navigation element to the site. It' something I would just have a simple link to, like how we have Contact Us, Help, Home in the footer links.

The Members page can't be moved to the footer as it is structurally different to the other links; none of them have sub navigation tabs.

The Members page can't be moved to the footer as it is structurally different to the other links; none of them have sub navigation tabs.

I would move it there without sub navigation. I don't see a need for sub nav for a list of members. That can be and is currently in 1.2 done on that particular page. Ideally, where the moderator bar is, I would have links like account information, members, and help, along with any other useful, but not as important links. Then leave the main navbar for things that actually have useful site content.

Where would you put the Current Visitors and Recent Activity links?

I wouldn't. Current visitors could be viewed on the actual members page via one of the tabs or some other method. It is also clickable from the forum home. I'd love to see the usage statistics of recent activity. I wonder if it really is even used often. Personally, I think the implementation just isn't where it needs to be. But that's a story for another thread.

While we're throwing our opinions that nobody apparently cares about into the ethos, the term "notable members" takes you to a member page that shows you an overview of the highest ranked people judged on a particular category. These categories roughly correspond to a user's activity or usefulness.

Calling it just "members" isn't accurate, as it's not all the members.
Perhaps the term "notable" makes people seem too superior and you'd prefer it to be changed to a different adjective.

Who cares? (this seems the general way to end posts in this thread)

Top Bottom