Incentives for vbulletin.org modders to offer their mod for XF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha1

I think a lot of vBorg modders will be asked these days if they're going to offer their mod for XF as well.
I think a lot of them will as there is a lot of goodwill. Is XF offering any incentives to vbulletin.org modders? License cost will be an issue

There won't need to be an incentive offered because most vB coders will be (or already have) looking to move to IPB or xF or any other script due to the dissatisfied customer base that vB has right now.

A good portion of coders run their own businesses and they'd want to be on the ground floor of something like xF or another emerging forum software. So, I don't think that there would have to be an incentive to come over. Just my opinion :)

I agree there really needs to be no incentive, the loyal member base and vision behind xf's core software seems like it would be motivation enough for them to make the switch. Let's be honest look how many people have already made the move, there are a lot of us here just waiting to press the send button for payment.

If they could afford to go 4.x they should be able to make the move to xf, they could always make one last decent mod there and hope for donations. :)

hmm, i don't have enought on my paypal account, 30€ are missing

Anybody here who loved my mods and like to see them available for xf?
*scnr*

I have seen several remarks from coders that did nto release their mods for vb4 simply because they did not have money for a license. Thats one reason why I suggest this.

Another reason is that it seems important to me that a software company shows its appreciation of the coders (who are working for free) in some way or another. Offering a free license is just an example.

I have seen several remarks from coders that did nto release their mods for vb4 simply because they did not have money for a license. Thats one reason why I suggest this.

Another reason is that it seems important to me that a software company shows its appreciation of the coders (who are working for free) in some way or another. Offering a free license is just an example.

You bring up an important point ... in my opinion (I know alot of people won't like this) ...

I think that mod coders should be charging at minimum a small fee for their work and even give a small commission to XF for working with the betters ones.

XF in turn would give them exposure on xenforo.com and advice on how to ensure a better quality product for its customers.

In the ideal world a one click installation of these mods would also be there.

The reason for my thinking is that we would see less half baked or dropped mods.

Its about a sustainable model where the mod developers win, XF wins, and the customers win. :)

You have to remember that vB4 is twice the cost of the early adopter sale of XF, and nearly 1/3 more of the original cost of XF, and this was for a whole new license for something that they were lead to believe would require only a yearly upgrade fee.

I think we're more likely to see modders switch to XF, and leave vB behind, especially when it becomes clear on how often vB will be release new major versions (vB5, vB6 etc). 

yeah, modders should give a percentage of their generated revenues back to XF in order for XF to continue working on the platform.
Why should they do that? They're already -paying- for a license, and they're helping to support XenForo by offering services to reach a wider target audience (Galleries, CMS, Portal, Blogs done by 3rd parties will mean people will switch).

Perhaps a fee for posting paid software -on- XenForo (With strict rules regarding signatures and lite software), but to force developers or designers to pay further just because they wish to make some money off their work? Thats ridiculous, and would end up being the end of XenForo for me, no matter how much I like the system. 

Why should they do that? They're already -paying- for a license, and they're helping to support XenForo by offering services to reach a wider target audience (Galleries, CMS, Portal, Blogs done by 3rd parties will mean people will switch).

Perhaps a fee for posting paid software -on- XenForo (With strict rules regarding signatures and lite software), but to force developers or designers to pay further just because they wish to make some money off their work? Thats ridiculous, and would end up being the end of XenForo for me, no matter how much I like the system.

Why ?
Because modders are making money based on that platform developed by Kier and Mike.

Ever heard about "Franchising" ?

Why ?
Because modders are making money based on that platform developed by Kier and Mike.

Ever heard about "Franchising" ?
Please explain your logic why you think this is a decent proposal, because I am fairly sure anyone else who has ever designed or developed something commercially will agree that this is a horrible idea. 

A lot of mods were not released for vB4 in part due to the cost of getting it but also it became apparent pretty quick that the version had A LOT of problems. Most of the coders didn't want to do anything until it was stable. It might be with 4.07 but I can't say for sure since I don't have it loaded anywhere. Now I think a lot of coders have just given up and are staying at 3.8 for their sites so they are not writing for 4.x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom