Incentives for vbulletin.org modders to offer their mod for XF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha1

I think a lot of vBorg modders will be asked these days if they're going to offer their mod for XF as well.
I think a lot of them will as there is a lot of goodwill. Is XF offering any incentives to vbulletin.org modders? License cost will be an issue

Mind that my suggestion only relates to coders that release their work for free.

This thread is not related to any commercial addons. Or at least it was not my intention for it to be, when I posed the suggestion.

Mind that my suggestion only relates to coders that release their work for free.

This thread is not related to any commercial addons. Or at least it was not my intention for it to be, when I posed the suggestion.

I think part of the problem with any incentive program would be properly defining coders.

Is someone who released a couple of 10 minute mods on vb.org eligible for the discount? How would XF keep track of who is and isn't legit? How would they deal with people submitting work as their own that belongs to someone else?

There are lots of people on vb.org listed as "coders" who have never spent more than an hour or two on coding in their lives, and a lot of people who steal other peoples work, or rip off another mod by taking code from an old version and just changing a couple of lines for the new one, and because the coder is no longer active, it never gets removed - how would XF avoid scams like that when deciding who gets these benefits?

It seems to me like it would be a real minefield to offer free licenses/discounts etc on a large scale for something like this, just due to the logistics of it. Perhaps Kier and Mike and the guys will offer versions to prolific coders on an individual basis, but to be honest I don't think XF is going to have any trouble attracting modders - especially since from what i've seen, Kier and Mike have had modability as a core concept for XF from day one.

Although my company produces both free and professional mods, every coder i know personally (even those who only make free mods) has expressed an interest in switching to XF. Just the idea of a fresh new system, a place without all of the entiltlement and the sometimes ridiculous moderation at vb.org (from personal experience, Moderators over there will just ignore your PM if they are wrong about something or it's something they don't want to deal with [Should point out here Paul M is an exception to that, i've never had any problems getting a reply from him, just in case anyone took that as a dig]) and how approachable the entire XF team are and how open the entire process has been is massively attractive to them.

To be honest if people need cajoling to come over, then it's possible the place will be better without them IMHO.

Wow I have to say this is a thumbs down thread. Reason being is that because of the mere fact that I am a vb.org modder, I already have intentions of releasing add-ons for XF when its released. I have no intention of continuing support or releasing any for vB. Therefore why should an incentive be offered when they do it for free on vb.org?

I already posted in another thread that they could offer an evaluation/developers licence - i.e. one that allowed you the software for development use, but not to run a publicly accessible forum. I dont expect it will happen, but one can only suggest.

Maybe a system could be setup where a developer's edition of XF cound be hosted on xf.com. The only limitation that this hosted version would have is a size limitation on the DB and the site would be htaccess protected.

Maybe a system could be setup where a developer's edition of XF cound be hosted on xf.com. The only limitation that this hosted version would have is a size limitation on the DB and the site would be htaccess protected.

Well, to start developing you need full access to the unencrypted source code anyway.

I'm also sure most developers prefer running the script on localhost.

So I'm afraid such a hosted solution is really pointless for dev purposes.

With the results of "that poll" over at VB.com leaning very positively towards current VB customers moving to XF, I think mod development will happen naturally and quickly as the demand will be pretty high, right from the get go (XF Gold release).

I think a lot of them will as there is a lot of goodwill. Is XF offering any incentives to vbulletin.org modders? License cost will be an issue
A paid modifications/add-ons (sub-)forum here at XF should be enough incentive, I hope Kier, Mike and the rest of the staff will agree with this. I'm willing to pay for several add-ons and even let them be released free afterwards.

I agree with Decado and Paul M, a little incentive for the developers can be very useful (prior access to beta, or developer licence etc.). But IMHO, not for all, but just for the more active coders. Vb.org has a nice system, the "release level"...Xenforo can create a "coder level" based on the numer of the mods created by a coder, the number of downloads, the votes etc., and doing a little incentive to the most "serious" coders (based on the support on Xenforo on is works, the stability of mods, etc.).

I think there not real problems with professional third part coders, if the coder can guarantee to develop a full functionality work (not a "demo"), supported and regularly updated...where is the problem? If the users needs to have professional mods, they can pay for a better work. I think can be create a zone for "professional mods", but not in this moment (the idea is to wait that the most requested be be created/ported on xf, and after can be create a "pro" version for this mods).

VB4 is a mess. It was from day one and nearly a year on, the promise of v4.1 charging in on a white horse, to save IB and the Vbulletin product are somewhat over...ummm..optimistic.

Many poor admin's (and I do genuinely feel for them!) who are tied into the product, will say that "everything is ok" because they have to; until something better comes along or until the services that they use (blog, CMS, photo) become available on another platform.

Is XF better than VB4? Yes, in many ways it is. Is VB4 better than XF? Yes, if you're looking for the things that XF doesn't currently offer.

VB 3.8.x is however a pretty good product that (much like Windows XP) should be kept from going end of life. I love the quote I read somewhere here that "VB4 is the Vista of forum software" - to keep the Microsoft analogies going, let's consider that XF is the "Windows 7 of forum software" then, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom