Incentives for vbulletin.org modders to offer their mod for XF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha1

I think a lot of vBorg modders will be asked these days if they're going to offer their mod for XF as well.
I think a lot of them will as there is a lot of goodwill. Is XF offering any incentives to vbulletin.org modders? License cost will be an issue

vB is at the moment in a situation similar to Microsoft: well-known, used by a lot of people who don't know better, but losing marked share every month because of customers discovering (better) alternatives.

Microsofts approval rating has gone up, and most people are happy with Windows 7...

Now, if you had compared it to their older operating systems, and the lack luster way they ran their company previously, it would make more sense. 

Microsofts approval rating has gone up, and most people are happy with Windows 7...

Now, if you had compared it to their older operating systems, and the lack luster way they ran their company previously, it would make more sense.

I think IB being bought out has worried a lot of people. Often when companies with several divisions are purchased by investment groups etc, they aim to strip them down and sell them off one by one to make the maximal profit on their purchase. That and the fact Adrian has already mentioned vB 5 when 4 only became stable in the last 6 months or so are concerning indicators.

I was referring to a longer period of time, during that period Apple has gained market share at the expense over Windows. So my analogy still stands.

I was referring to a longer period of time, during that period Apple has gained market share at the expense over Windows. So my analogy still stands.
vBulletin had a better approval pre-vB4, and IPB wasn't as favored for in comparison (From what I saw).

That is the opposite of your analogy, as Microsoft now has a high approval rating, most customers are happy with them, and more people have started to doubt Apples company ethics (iPhone 4 fiasco among other things). 

vBulletin had a better approval pre-vB4, and IPB wasn't as favored for in comparison (From what I saw).

That is the opposite of your analogy, as Microsoft now has a high approval rating, most customers are happy with them, and more people have started to doubt Apples company ethics (iPhone 4 fiasco among other things).
marketshareos.webp
Source: netmarketshare.com

Again, I was referring to this whole period. And as you can see Windows has lost market share since 2008, Apple has even gained a little during the first quarter of 2010. It has lost a little after that, but not much. Windows is about stable in 2010, no gain, no loss.

How is that opposite of my analogy then?

PS: iPhone 4 a fiasco? Wishfull thinking: http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/06/28/apple-iphone-4-three-days-sales-best-ever-for-apple/

Edit: thanks for taking the discussion private, I respect that.

Thats the second time you've said that. I hope you dont actually believe it, and are just joking. :)
What's wrong with her statement?

I find that fact that there's a new software out there that's built on a flexible platform using current, well-known standards for programming and design, built in a way that modders can quickly start building modifications and web designers can immediately start making styles to XenForo without extreme effort that's usually needed on other, older platforms is incentive enough for plenty of coders/designers. It shows when you look around and see known people saying they will develop for XenForo when it it's released.

Can you elaborate on what you find so unbelievable?

I find that fact that there's a new software out there that's built on a flexible platform using current, well-known standards for programming and design, built in a way that modders can quickly start building modifications and web designers can immediately start making styles to XenForo without extreme effort that's usually needed on other, older platforms is incentive enough for plenty of coders/designers. It shows when you look around and see known people saying they will develop for XenForo when it it's released.

Esp when the top design houses are already aboard. And they are no longer designing for VB. 

Because coding is still work that requires time and effort? XenForo isn't this mystically created piece of software that everyone should fall down and worship. It's just software. Perhaps good software (it seems like that to me, at least), but still just software. It's not an honor to have the opportunity to hack it. Unless I'm crazy, people write mods for two reasons- to make money off of it, or to make their own forum better (and then they're nice enough to share).

Because coding is still work that requires time and effort? XenForo isn't this mystically created piece of software that everyone should fall down and worship. It's just software. Perhaps good software (it seems like that to me, at least), but still just software. It's not an honor to have the opportunity to hack it. Unless I'm crazy, people write mods for two reasons- to make money off of it, or to make their own forum better (and then they're nice enough to share).
I never said it didn't take time and effort. Perhaps "honor" or "privilege" isn't the wording Peggy should've used but I think I know what her thoughts were going when she said it, especially since coders and designers can be part of that start of something, not join in years later.

vBulletin doesn't offer any incentives, neither does IPS as far as I'm aware or any known forum software out there that I know of. The software itself should be able to offer options that coders would want to come rather than be baited into it, and I think XenForo does just that.

Unless I'm crazy, people write mods for two reasons- to make money off of it, or to make their own forum better (and then they're nice enough to share).
Wrong. Are you familiar with the the coder scale at vb.org? They do it for self appreciation and competition to be the top coder. Although some might not admit that ;). It feels good to be appreciated.

I never said it didn't take time and effort. Perhaps "honor" or "privilege" isn't the wording Peggy should've used but I think I know what her thoughts were going when she said it, especially since coders and designers can be part of that start of something, not join in years later.

vBulletin doesn't offer any incentives, neither does IPS as far as I'm aware or any known forum software out there that I know of. The software itself should be able to offer options that coders would want to come rather than be baited into it, and I think XenForo does just that.

If she means something along the lines of 'XF, being an awesome piece of forum software, will organically grow a stable mod community without incentives' then I agree. And from my own experiences with coding, it can be fun. It's just that some of the phrasing in this thread is way too religious, and the idea of offering some incentives isn't so outlandish.

Maybe you should read it again - "they have the privilege of coding/designing ...."

I dont think anyone spends their time and money coding just for the privilege, maybe im wrong - do you know anyone who does ?

As it happens, I believe it was said tongue in cheek anyway :)

You're right btw, vBulletin doesn't offer any incentives, neither does IPB afaik - but that in itself isnt really a valid reason for XF not to - unless of course you think it should also remove any features that vb and IPB dont have.;)

JFYI, I dont believe for a second that they will offer anything, and if I were in their position, I wouldnt either - id wait and see how things pan out before doing anything. Its quite clear there will be quite a few initial coders and designers.

Maybe you should read it again - "they have the privilege of coding/designing ...."

I dont think anyone spends their time and money coding just for the privilege, maybe im wrong - do you know anyone who does ?

As it happens, I believe it was said tongue in cheek anyway :)

You're right btw, vBulletin doesn't offer any incentives, neither does IPB afaik - but that in itself isnt really a valid reason for XF not to - unless of course you think it should also remove any features that vb and IPB dont have.;)

JFYI, I dont believe for a second that they will offer anything, and if I were in their position, I wouldnt either - id wait and see how things pan out before doing anything. Its quite clear there will be quite a few initial coders and designers.
*Brings to question your incentive for posting on these forums. Are you here just to provoke people? Because from your previous posts i can conclude that you aren't going to be buying a license.

*Brings to question your incentive for posting on these forums. Are you here just to provoke people? Because from your previous posts i can conclude that you aren't going to be buying a license.

He has all the right to post here his opinions just like you, me and every other member. If you don''t like them, then tough luck.

And he is not provoking anyone at all btw. Simply stating his opinion on the subject.

He has all the right to post here his opinions just like you, me and every other member. If you don''t like them, then tough luck.

And he is not provoking anyone at all btw. Simply stating his opinion on the subject.
Am i question his right to posting on these forums? Of course not, just his incentives for doing so considering where hes from and his role there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom