In-thread Wiki's & more

The Grand Potentate

Hi guys,

I'm going over a number of the forum software programs and you guys are very high up on my list. Let me caveat this by saying that I know absolutely nothing about web design or forum development, so if my questions seem noobis I've got several questions (and more to follow, I'm sure) but a few stand out at me right off the bat:

1) I'd like an in-thread wiki system like Slickdeals has. If you don't know what I mean, check here:

http://slickdeals.net/f/1837791-Discuss-finds-at-Home-Depot

All the wiki's are editable by all users, not only by the OP or mods. Something that's constantly evolving and isn't static. Its something that I'm VERY interested in, as I'd love the ability to be able to not have to tell noobs to "SEARCH NOOB" and can instead point to the wiki every time. Is there an add-on for this?

2) Is there a way to offer the forumites a pay-for-no-ads subscription? I.E. donate $2o and every time you login there's no ads on the site?

3) I'd like to have the forum be log-in only so you can't even see it until you do. When you hit the web address you get to a front page, like this:

https://www.ravelry.com/account/login

Is that possible?

4) This is silly, but I've always wanted animated smilies on my site, again, like they have on Slickdeals. Like the little smiley that goes nuts in a circle, or the jedi one. Is that an option?

5) Is there a 'new posts' button, or an option for one?

6) Is there a way to upload multiple images at a time? Also, is there a way to automatically resize exceptionally large images, to a certain standard size, and then have them open up to full size when clicked on?

7) Can you RSS subscribe to specific threads, or just whole forums?

I'm sure I'll come up with more later, but if you could help me with these, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

1. None that I am aware of.
2. Yes, xF has a subscription system built in (paypal only)
3. Just set permissions on the nodes, and they won't see them until they log in.
4. Yes, you can add new smilies
5. Not sure what you mean, but I guess it's what happens when you press on Whats New
6. If I am not mistaken, only one at a time. xF automatically resizes image uploads based on your settings.
7. Forum only

For spam, see my signature. Core is not so good, but you can manage with it.

1. None that I am aware of.
2. Yes, xF has a subscription system built in (paypal only)
3. Just set permissions on the nodes, and they won't see them until they log in.
4. Yes, you can add new smilies
5. Not sure what you mean, but I guess it's what happens when you press on Whats New
6. If I am not mistaken, only one at a time. xF automatically resizes image uploads based on your settings.
7. Forum only

For spam, see my signature. Core is not so good, but you can manage with it.

1 - ****
2 - yay
3 - So I can make all nodes to be hidden until login?
4 - nice. is there a repository for them?
5 - i think that's the same thing. basically, new posts would give you all threads that have been updated since you last visited the forum
6 - also ****. is there an add-on in the works for this? posting a bunch of images in a row is a pain in the ass.
7 - well that's not the end of the world

what am i looking at here?

got a new one - is there a way to multi-quote several people in a row without it jumping down to the reply box every time you click on reply? for instance, to reply to both the guys above i had to click on their reply boxes individually, and each time it prompted me to reply.

Since the whole forum just got spammed, how are the spam controls?

Also, in the search, can you search for 1 or 2 character options? E.G. uh, or, of... How about boolean operators or wildcard functions?

I just tried in the test forum and it seems you cannot search for 3 character strings. This is disappointing.

got a new one - is there a way to multi-quote several people in a row without it jumping down to the reply box every time you click on reply? for instance, to reply to both the guys above i had to click on their reply boxes individually, and each time it prompted me to reply.

Anyone?

Jaxel provided with a link, that is pretty much a wiki page as a discussion thread, so it seems like it exists.

1 - ****
2 - yay
3 - So I can make all nodes to be hidden until login?
4 - nice. is there a repository for them?
5 - i think that's the same thing. basically, new posts would give you all threads that have been updated since you last visited the forum
6 - also ****. is there an add-on in the works for this? posting a bunch of images in a row is a pain in the ass.
7 - well that's not the end of the world
4. There are some smileys in the resource manager, adding them is a pain though.

6. You can post multiple images, but you can only upload one at a time, I might have been dead tired when I replied to you, or just misread.

There might be a multi quote addon in the resource manager, I think I remember seeing something about that.

Jaxel provided with a link, that is pretty much a wiki page as a discussion thread, so it seems like it exists.

4. There are some smileys in the resource manager, adding them is a pain though.

6. You can post multiple images, but you can only upload one at a time, I might have been dead tired when I replied to you, or just misread.

There might be a multi quote addon in the resource manager, I think I remember seeing something about that.

Sadly, its not the same. The ability to add into the wiki and still continue the discussion is something that's just unparalleled.

Speaking of regular wiki's, is there architecture for addition of wikis related to the forum but not within it? Like a separate external page you could jump to? Or just what Jaxel linked?

I saw the smileys in the resource manager. seems you have to upload them one at a time. ugh.

1) I'd like an in-thread wiki system like Slickdeals has. If you don't know what I mean, check here:

http://slickdeals.net/f/1837791-Discuss-finds-at-Home-Depot

All the wiki's are editable by all users, not only by the OP or mods. Something that's constantly evolving and isn't static. Its something that I'm VERY interested in, as I'd love the ability to be able to not have to tell noobs to "SEARCH NOOB" and can instead point to the wiki every time. Is there an add-on for this?
Another wiki fan ! :)
Jaxel's XenCarta is excellent. XenCarta doesn't have the permissions you would need to accomplish exactly what you want. I think we should try to convince Jaxel to go for the gusto with XenCarta. A couple more tweaks and it will be super powerful.
Vaultwiki is making a wiki for Xenforo.
And there is a Mediawiki bridge.

Yeah, its a big one for me. I do loves me some SlickDeals.
Slickdeals == Heaven.

How about something like this:
http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4037-classifieds/
Its a classifieds section listing for people buying and selling on your board. Seems pretty damn cool.
It looks like I might have read you wrong.
You portrayed yourself as a internet player good taste.
You go from multi-user wiki-like editing of posts to a **** classifieds.
That's one fall from grace.
Ouch.
Ima going to let that one slide, like it didn't happen.
Moving on ...

Lol. I admit, I do like the multiple listing options and searchable categories. What can I say, my forum will sell ****. It doesn't need to be a full on classified, but is something like that installable?

+1 on the SD love

Top Bottom