Improve the User Interface in XF 2.2 Attachments

arn

New XF 2.2 attachment system is harder to use -- especially for novice users.
The "Insert" button is more hidden, the "select attachments" button is confusing.

Feels like a regression in terms of ease-of-use.

Xenforo 2.2:

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 2.40.25 PM.webp

Xenforo 2.1:

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 2.43.00 PM.webp

Upvote 36
It's for selecting the ones you want to insert, if you have a lot so you don't have to insert one by one. Manage might infer something else. Select seems appropriate to me.

Last edited:
Or maybe it means select ones you want to upload. It’s a bit vague and that doesn’t get into the questionable interface when you do hit select.

Cancel and delete are rather close to each other. Both physically and also it’s not good to place two such opposite things within striking distance.

If you do hit delete it doesn’t do anything, unless you’ve checked off the box in the top left corner.

7B97505D-2952-41B1-8834-DB317B21D803.jpeg

Last edited:
IMO, simply remove the select attachment button and the selection symbol which that option uses. Make them behave similar to folders on your computer. You press on them and they are selected, press again to remove selection. Also make it more visible when they are selected than just the small hook (see image below for an example of how to do it):
xf2.2.webp

If you hover e.g. Image 1, you can still choose from options individually, like removing it or adding it as Thumbnail/Full Size, but if you select more than one you should have a field below saying something like: "Add selected images as: Thumbnail or Full Size" "Delete selected images".

Remove the "Insert..." and give us the option to add them directly either as thumbnail or full size, with one click. Make some easy to understand symbols, e.g. '+' for thumbnail and '++' for full size.

I've made a few changes and improvements to the multi-attachment bar, but I'm still weighing options for the primary insertion controls - we have limited scope due to the square layout, which I consider to be more important at this point than the old horizontal strip approach, which did allow more space for each attachment but also had serious downsides as I laid out in the related video.

1594054085799.webp

square layout
I loooove it! It solves the problem with mess when both landscape and portrait thumbnails are in lines.
Is there some chance for us to get the ability to insert square thumbnails into posts, instead of regular?
The regular "insert as thumbnail" image is too small to take all the screen width and too big to use it with text (align left/right).
But that square thumbnail would sit there just perfect.

0.webp

It might be just me, but inserting single or all images seems to require more work/clicks on XF 2.2

XenForo 2.0/2.1​

insert-xf20.PNG

XenForo 2.2​

Single Image
On XF 2.0/2.1 this did require one click on Insert: Thumbnail/Full Image, on XF 2.2 it does require 2 clicks: one click on Insert ... and onother click on Thumbnail/Full Image
insert-non-selection.PNG

All Images
On XF 2.0/2.1 this did require one click on Insert all: Thumbnail/Full Image, on XF 2.2 it does require 3 clicks: one click on Insert multiple ..., one click on Select all and a final one on Thumbnail/Full Image
insert-selection.PNG

Also, in XF 2.0/2.1 it was possible to discard an individual image at any time by just clicking Delete, on XF 2.2 this is only possible when not in "multiple section" mode.

I would therefore like to suggest the following changes:
  • Always display the recycle bin icon regardless of mode so an image can be discarded at any time
  • Display the individual insert options when hovering over the Insert ... menu; always display them on devices that do not support hover
  • Display additional buttons Insert all: Thumbnail / Full Image when not in multiple selection mode
    insert-buttons.PNG
IMHO this would significantly simplify inserting individual or all images as it would bring back the amount of clicks required to what we had on XF 2.0/2.1 without loosing the new functionality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom