Improve replying to posts in threads in XenForo

Grover

Hello,

I believe the process of replying to posts in threads in XenForo can be improved a little.

The problem I have with the current way it works is that there is no clear visual feedback/confirmation that the enduser has actually posted their reply. Let me show what I mean by these screenshots:

reply to posting #2.webp

reply to posting #2 and transported.webp

reply to posting #2 and posted.webp

reply to posting #2 and posted and scroll down.webp

Screenshot 3 is showing you what I see in WinXP/Chrome on my resolution. Maybe the only thing that is going on is that is has something to do with my resolution/setup, but I find it rather confusing that I can not immediately see what I have posted. I miss some kind of visual feedback that my posting is actually there. Obviously displaying my submitted posting would be enough of a confirmation, but on my setup XenForo does not show me my submitted posting. I have to browse down to it, to be able to see it.

Thoughts?

Upvote 8
I do agree with you Grover.

Although I feel that this is important for all members, it is especially important for members who are not forum-savvy. They want (and should have) an immediate visual confirmation that their message has been posted... namely, seeing their post instantly.

Although I feel that this is important for all members, it is especially important for members who are not forum-savvy. They want (and should have) an immediate visual confirmation that their message has been posted... namely, seeing their post instantly.

Certainly. So why don't you like the first posting then? ;)

Since posting is the core process of XenForo, I find it quite remarkable that no-one else except you and AlexandrosD follow the thoughts presented in the first posting.

I see what you are trying to convey, Grover.
It may have to do with the way thread marking is designed in XF i.e it leads you to the first unread post on a thread.
A simple solution for this is right after members click the Reply button, right on top of "There are more post" in Pic 3, there is a small message "Your reply has been posted"

I am trying to understand what you guys mean by this? I see my reply immediately as I post it.

Edit: I now understand. I feel that we do need visual confirmation, though for me, I'd rather the page refresh automatically (with AJAX like with normal quick replies) and take you to your post.

This is funny because sometimes when you post it shows your post on the page you were reading instead of taking you to the end of the thread where the post really is.

Test1

it is a good way its set out, but it should maybe have another option "Content posted - view post" or something, since it alreayd keeps you at the older threads... think its just set out wrong

Imagine if there was a multi-quote link besides the reply link which gives a pop-up window just like the edit popup with a WYSIWYG editor and for each post you click the multi quote it gets inserted in that pop-up. Even when you go to the next page, that pop-up window stays open. Wouldn't it be much easier?

Since posting is the core process of XenForo, I find it quite remarkable that no-one else except you and AlexandrosD follow the thoughts presented in the first posting.

probably because your screenshots are sooooo small that those are very hard to read.......:notworthy:

Imagine if there was a multi-quote link besides the reply link which gives a pop-up window just like the edit popup with a WYSIWYG editor and for each post you click the multi quote it gets inserted in that pop-up. Even when you go to the next page, that pop-up window stays open. Wouldn't it be much easier?
That's actually a pretty good idea for multi quoting.

Top Bottom