XF 1.2 Improve forum home load time

jauburn

My forum home is loading at ~ 3 seconds, which is too slow, even on an SSD-based VPS.

I notice that xenforo's home page loads much faster.

Two questions:

What is xenforo's secret?

What might I do to improve forum home load times?

Thanks.

My forum home is loading at ~ 3 seconds, which is too slow, even on an SSD-based VPS.

I notice that xenforo's home page loads much faster.

Two questions:

What is xenforo's secret?

What might I do to improve forum home load times?

Thanks.
# of add-ons in use
bandwidth latency
# of images display on main page
# of ads displayed on main page
Social intergration plugin latency

These ALL have a bearing on it.

It's taking 1.3 seconds just to get the initial response from the db queries before it even starts to load the js / images / css etc

upload_2014-5-12_22-15-20.webp

I'd suggest you start by taking a look at the configurations of the webserver and database, and try and implement caching where possible.

@jauburn - another thing is give SERIOUS consideration to going to nginx/OpenLiteSpeed/LiteSpeed instead of Apache.
Dump PHP 5.3.27 and upgrade to the 5.5 series also.

I can't dump 5.3.x at the moment because I have one site that won't work on 5.4.x or higher.

I'll ask the host about nginx/OpenLiteSpeed, etc.

Is that what they use here?

I can't dump 5.3.x at the moment because I have one site that won't work on 5.4.x or higher.

I'll ask the host about nginx/OpenLiteSpeed, etc.

Is that what they use here?
They use Apache here... but I'm pretty sure they got a LOT more horsepower behind it than what you have.
Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 5.35.05 PM.webp

FYI, I figured out that a low TTL value (set to 0 in some cases) in some of the sidebar blocks--part of the bd widget framework--was causing much of the home page slowness.

Top Bottom