XF 1.5 Importing vb4 into existing xf forum

motowebmaster

My "competitor" gave up and transitioned ownership of their vb4 site and domains to me. Using my previous license I upgraded it to 4.2.5 and have removed 75% of the stuff I don't want. It has been reduced to a standard vb4 site/theme with no plugins, moved it to my server with my XF 1.5 site. The vb site/domain is now six forums with 110k posts total.

On the vb site; I've removed all of the custom groups, donations, usergroups, tags, private messages, signatures, notices, calendars, & etc - leaving mostly the default options.

My current thought is to "memorialize" this content into a separate forum category on my XF site. There are users on my XF site who did register/participate on the vb site over the years.

As I've been cleaning up the vb site, I've been removing users with zero posts and still have 1750 users; but will likely reduce that further.
  1. When importing, can the vb content be imported into a particular XF forum category that is empty?
  2. If so, would the individual forums appear within the XF category they are being imported into?
  3. Would I have user profiles with duplicate user names that will likely need to be merged?
  4. If so, would a duplicate user profile name cause the respective user to experience login issues, or would the imported profile from vb be renamed during the import?
  5. Broken links, to both websites and image/video inserts, is rampant. I'm working to clean up the mess, but if I miss something what will happen with a broken link to photobucket or YouTube when the respective thread is imported?
Are there other considerations?

When importing, can the vb content be imported into a particular XF forum category that is empty?
No. You would need to move the forums/threads after the import.

Would I have user profiles with duplicate user names that will likely need to be merged?
Duplicate accounts will be flagged during the import.
You will be given options as to how to handle them.

Broken links, to both websites and image/video inserts, is rampant. I'm working to clean up the mess, but if I miss something what will happen with a broken link to photobucket or YouTube when the respective thread is imported?
It won't affect the import. They still just remain as broken links.

Top Bottom