Importing specified subforums from a vB4 forum into XenForo?

therother

Hi all

We have 250k posts within 6 forums of a larger vB4 forum (2M+ posts, 150+ forums) and would like to know if it's feasible to import just our 6 forums/250k posts into new xenForo?

TIA

I'd suggest that the best way to do this would be to duplicate your vB4 database to a temporary installation and remove the unwanted forums there before using this as the source for the XenForo importer, which does not give content selection options.

Hi Kier, thanks for the response. That does sound like the smart move. Problem is that I don't have access to the database: perhaps a bit of background would help.

We've been working at a forum for the past few years, accumulating a fair number of posts. We'd like a backup of these posts in case anything happens to the current forum, as a archive/reference in the first instance and perhaps as an active forum if things go wrong.

The forum admins at the vB4 forum are amenable to this, but for obvious reasons would not want to give us a backup of the entire database or do any substantial amount of work on our behalf.

I guess what I'm asking is for the minimum required for the current admins to include in the database dump in order for XenForo to be able to create a working database, eg if they dumped and then pruned the forum tables to just our 6 forums, would I be able (with a bit of hard work and ingenuity) to fashion something that your import script would accept?

In addition to the 6 forums, you will also need all the tables which have data related to those forums and posts: users, user groups, etc.

If you only want the users which are related to those 6 forums/posts then you will need to run queries to determine which members have posted in them and delete the rest of the users.

It's possible but it will take some work to prune it down to just the content you want.

The importer only imports forum and user related data, not template code or css.

All groups and user states are imported.
Anything other than groups 1 to 7 are imported as a custom group.

These are the steps:
Import User Groups
Import Users
Import Custom Avatars
Import Private Messages
Import Visitor Messages
Import Forums
Import Moderators
Import Threads and Posts
Import Polls
Import Attachments

Unless you have a complete copy of the database it's really not practical to think about doing an import - stripping out the information from forums other than the six you want represents significantly more work than doing a straight export of the database.

Unless you have a complete copy of the database it's really not practical to think about doing an import - stripping out the information from forums other than the six you want represents significantly more work than doing a straight export of the database.
Hmm, I feared as much. Thanks for your replies. I'll head over to the vB forums to see if they can advise on how much work it would be for our current admins to strip the full database down to what we need via your suggestion in post 2.

Good luck with the new software!

Top Bottom