Importing Issue - Lost Many Posts

fattony69

So I just recently imported my vBulletin forum and went live. The only issue for me is that I am missing threads and such. Some major threads too, not ones from years ago (which I wouldn't have minded as much.

At first, I thought the decrease in posts and threads was like members (because they don't count if they are banned), but then I had members asking me where their threads are. With that, I tried re-importing my database multiple times to get back these threads. For some of them, I was able to get back certain threads, but it only overloaded the server because I did the import multiple times. Now, everyone's post count is three times what it should be, I am still missing about 45,000 posts (rough estimate since I realize that no matter what all posts should count towards the post count in XenForo. If that is the case, 45,000 makes sense since my Spam area was 33,000 posts big and I had 407,000 posts in vBulletin and I have only 395,000 posts now).

With all this said, what should I do?

So I just recently imported my vBulletin forum and went live. The only issue for me is that I am missing threads and such. Some major threads too, not ones from years ago (which I wouldn't have minded as much.

At first, I thought the decrease in posts and threads was like members (because they don't count if they are banned), but then I had members asking me where their threads are. With that, I tried re-importing my database multiple times to get back these threads. For some of them, I was able to get back certain threads, but it only overloaded the server because I did the import multiple times. Now, everyone's post count is three times what it should be, I am still missing about 45,000 posts (rough estimate since I realize that no matter what all posts should count towards the post count in XenForo. If that is the case, 45,000 makes sense since my Spam area was 33,000 posts big and I had 407,000 posts in vBulletin and I have only 395,000 posts now).

With all this said, what should I do?

If you will forgive the question... what evidence is there of missing threads? You say your members aren't able to find their threads. Where are they looking? It's important to confirm the problem and not just take your members at their word.

With that said, you shouldn't rerun the same import multiple times on the same installation of xenForo. There is no easy way to deal with duplicate content from the previous import so you get problems like inflated user post counts. You should work with a new installation of xenForo (or even a backup of your xenForo database from before the initial import) if you want to run the import again.

I too was quite curious as to whether the missing threads were actually missing.
#1 rule of doing any kind of technical support. People will say that all kinds of things are haywire. Make them show you.
Since he likes to keep his forum undisclosed, I suggested a support ticket. That way things could be handled more quickly.

If you will forgive the question... what evidence is there of missing threads? You say your members aren't able to find their threads. Where are they looking? It's important to confirm the problem and not just take your members at their word.

With that said, you shouldn't rerun the same import multiple times on the same installation of xenForo. There is no easy way to deal with duplicate content from the previous import so you get problems like inflated user post counts. You should work with a new installation of xenForo (or even a backup of your xenForo database from before the initial import) if you want to run the import again.
When members pointed it out to me, I personally search for them. I am sorry that I did not clarify that.

That said, I probably shouldn't have rerun the same import which wasn't the best idea.

I shall submit a support ticket. I was hoping there would have been an easy way to handle this.

Back when xF was first released and I imported from SMF via vBulletin, the thread and post counts did not match up due to missing threads. I tracked down the missing threads, dug into the database to see what was common among them. In my case, the missing posts had an empty "posterusername" field so they ended up being omitted by the xF importer.

Yours will likely be a different problem since you're importing straight from vB and since my import, the xF importer has gone through a number of revisions. The general idea is to track down the missing threads/posts and look in the database for any commonalities. My thread/post count pre and post import were identical FWIW.

..The general idea is to track down the missing threads/posts and look in the database for any commonalities.
I almost posted this yesterday. My first thought was possibly a language issue, but my guess would be the data and usernames would probably be english based on what I can tell. ( fattony69 has a firm grasp on English)

Top Bottom