XF 2.2 Importing a forum thread

Dkf

A year ago, I migrated from vBulletin 3.8.7 to XF 2.2.x.
Now it turns out that one of the old threads has been physically deleted. I don't know how it happened.
I still have the old vB database, and the thread with its comments is there.Is there any way to import just that one thread from the old database?
All the user accounts that participated in that thread are present on the new forum, so there shouldn't be any issues.
Thank you.

Yes, there will be issues.. you can't easily "import/recreate" a thread that easily (if talking about doing a mySQL import of said thread)... there are a lot of other actions that take place in creation of a post/thread other than simply importing the thread itself will not duplicate... if you had a recent backup, you could easily recover it.. or if you wanted to spend enough with someone proficient in mySQL recover, you might be able to recover it... but that can get expensive.
As to "how it happened".... someone with moderator/admin privileges deleted it (think it's the moderator log under Logs in the ACP.... you should be able to figure out who deleted it and when.

Reactions: Dkf
Yes, there will be issues.. you can't easily "import/recreate" a thread that easily (if talking about doing a mySQL import of said thread)... there are a lot of other actions that take place in creation of a post/thread other than simply importing the thread itself will not duplicate... if you had a recent backup, you could easily recover it.. or if you wanted to spend enough with someone proficient in mySQL recover, you might be able to recover it... but that can get expensive.
As to "how it happened".... someone with moderator/admin privileges deleted it (think it's the moderator log under Logs in the ACP.... you should be able to figure out who deleted it and when.
I know some MySQL.
I can export the data from their old database into a file.
And then import it from the file into the new database.
But how do I convert this data in file? Are there any ready-made solutions?

I know some MySQL.
I can export the data from their old database into a file.
And then import it from the file into the new database.
But how do I convert this data in file? Are there any ready-made solutions?
It's not simply exporting the thread... there are many other DB entries that have to be updated for posts in that thread... honestly... if you don't have someone that can recover the data from your mySQL logs (and the logs still contain it)... you pretty much either can write it off, or restore to a backup that has that in it and lose any current information. Most would simply use it as learning point, and have a discussion with whomever deleted that thread if it was a moderator/other admin.. if it was you then you can only look at yourself and say whatever you would like to shout.

Just a thought. Re-upgrade the vB to XF on a test copy.

After that is done, delete all threads except that one thread.

You‘ll need to retain the thread in a forum ID that exists on your live forum.

When it’s the only thread left, export the thread and post tables and try importing them to your live board.

Of course you should make a backup of your live board before the import. That just seems like it would work to me. But it’s just what I’m imagining, it has to be tested with precautions.

Top Bottom