Importation Questions

Hi, i'm currently running a forum with MyBB at mydoges.org, but we plan on upgrading to XenForo soon. We don't want to burden our users to re-register, so luckily xenforo has an importer for MyBB. I'm a bit confused about this though.
How does the import process work? Won't I need to run both sites at the same time? I need to have the XenForo site on the same domain (obviously), and so this is just confusing me.

Thanks,
Taylor

So would I just rename the directory that my current site is in to something else, then install XenForo into another directory? Maybe i'm just overthinking because i've never actually used the importer..

You can't install XenForo in the same directory as your existing installation.

So if you want to use the same one, you would move or rename the existing one first.

Most people go for the root, or one of the /community, /forums or /forum directories.

Be aware that using the latter two will result in URLs with a double forum(s) in them, for example: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/installation-upgrade-and-import-support.23/

Replace /community with one of those and you will see the result.

I really do not want to mess up the importation of the site, as I am not fully understanding how to do this with an existing site using the same domain, etc (obviously my fault, not yours). Where would I find someone willing to do the import/export for us for pay (and obviously a reliable person)?

Top Bottom