Import locally, how to transfer to live site?

Panupat

I'm half way through my IPB import right now. I'm doing the conversion on my local machine.

Once the conversion is completed and the new database exported, how would I transfer it to my live server? Should I import the database before or after I install Xenforo? Or do I need to initiate the install script at all?

Upload the XenForo files from your local host to your domain (live site).

Create a database on your domain (using the same name, user and password) and import your local host database using phpMyAdmin.

There is no need to run the install script, simply copy everything from your PC to the server.

The config.php will be included when you copy the XenForo directory.

Unless you want to use different database details (name, user, password), in which case you will need to edit it.

Hello. I would just like to clarify something regarding the above advice from ages ago:

If your local host has the same name database in phpmyadmin, it will not let you create a new database with the same name.
So would backing up your existing database on your live site, deleting it, recreating an empty database with the same name and then importing it will do the job?

You can name the database anything you want in phpMyAdmin/MySQL and import your live/production site into it.

The names do not have to match.

Top Bottom