Import, in stages?

gordy

Can I take an mysqldump of my running vb3.8.x today, run an XF import, and use that to test and tweak - then when I'm ready to go production import the changes made from the original import to the current (some future date)?

As I recall someone imported users & forums, set everything up (the time consuming parts), then later imported threads/posts. That of course would only work for a forum with few people joining. The actual import does not really take that much time.

Personally I did several test imports, then started a new import on a fresh install of xf with the vb forum shut down.

As I recall someone imported users & forums, set everything up (the time consuming parts), then later imported threads/posts. That of course would only work for a forum with few people joining. The actual import does not really take that much time.

Personally I did several test imports, then started a new import on a fresh install of xf with the vb forum shut down.
Or he can just close registration for the time being?

I vote for this. It is by far the best way to go.

When you are ready for the final import you should do a fresh install of xenForo and start from scratch. Don't try to build onto your test environment. There is no good way to import again the new content from your live forum.

The test forum should be used as a point of reference in doing your final import. If you have done any custom development on the test forum then you will need to manually apply those changes to the fresh installation of xenForo when you do the final import. Or you might consider doing your custom development before the test import so you can make a backup for use later when you are ready for the final import.

Top Bottom