Import from vB forces me to change email addresses

raytrails

I don't understand why I'm getting this error message when doing a test import from a vBulletin 3.8 forum:

Following users conflicted with existing users' names or email addresses

Merging is out of the question, since many users are registered several times with the same email address. I can't just move every single duplicate to another email address.

If XenForo forces everyone to register with unique email addresses, this would be a huge show-stopper for my planned conversion.

What to do?

If the list is not too big you can contact the affected members and ask them to use a unique address for each of their accounts. But why allow multiple accounts for the same person anyway?

What about letting the importer automatically merge the duplicates? The merged users can still use their email to login. They can contact you directly if they wish to change the username they end up with after the merge.

The numbers are even higher, I see now that over 400 members have more than one account at the forum (we opened up for that to get more activity in the beginning). As it is now I just have to merge them and hope it goes well, and as Jake says I'll have to tell them to contact me if they want any changes to their username.

As I posted above, XenForo allows login via user name or email address so it's impossible to have 2 different accounts with the same email address.

Top Bottom