1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import from vB forces me to change email addresses

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Garamond, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Garamond

Garamond Well-Known Member

I don't understand why I'm getting this error message when doing a test import from a vBulletin 3.8 forum:

Merging is out of the question, since many users are registered several times with the same email address. I can't just move every single duplicate to another email address.

If XenForo forces everyone to register with unique email addresses, this would be a huge show-stopper for my planned conversion.

What to do?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There is nothing you can do other than to merge or change email addresses.

http://xenforo.com/help/importing/

3. Garamond

4. Garamond

There should be an extra box available for cross-checking during the transfer that says "Allow duplicate email addresses".

ungovernable likes this.
  5. Brogan

6. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

If the list is not too big you can contact the affected members and ask them to use a unique address for each of their accounts. But why allow multiple accounts for the same person anyway?

7. Garamond

The list is big, at least 100 members long. I have to reconsider this.

8. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

What about letting the importer automatically merge the duplicates? The merged users can still use their email to login. They can contact you directly if they wish to change the username they end up with after the merge.

9. Garamond

The numbers are even higher, I see now that over 400 members have more than one account at the forum (we opened up for that to get more activity in the beginning). As it is now I just have to merge them and hope it goes well, and as Jake says I'll have to tell them to contact me if they want any changes to their username.

10. James

James Well-Known Member

11. Garamond

Thanks, James. Found many interesting add-ons there.

12. lazer

lazer Well-Known Member

Silly question but if this is set in vB ACP
    Screen Shot 2011-08-10 at 10.56.38.png
    ...you won't have any problems with duplicate email addresses, right?

13. Brogan

Assuming that has been set from the start, then no, you won't have any problems.

lazer likes this.
  14. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I agree.

15. Brogan

As I posted above, XenForo allows login via user name or email address so it's impossible to have 2 different accounts with the same email address.

16. Garamond

I'd say reconsider that, and go for username-only login.

17. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

I think this is a "you can't please everyone" moment :) There are compelling reasons for both systems and XenForo has gone with unique email addresses.

Garamond, Kier and Dean like this.