XF 1.2 Import from phpBB2 to xF1.2 , How can I preserve password?

rdn

Any ideas, or somebody did this already?

phpbb2 to vb is not my choice
So what I did is phpbb2 > phpbb3 > xf1.2, but password are not working :(

I have a friend who want's to convert into XenForo and I'm the one working on it.

Thanks!

Any ideas, or somebody did this already?

phpbb2 to vb is not my choice
So what I did is phpbb2 > phpbb3 > xf1.2, but password are not working :(

I have a friend who want's to convert into XenForo and I'm the one working on it.

Thanks!
Solution is not what you want, but it is the only answer.

phpbb to vBulletint to XenForo.

The problem is that phpbb 2 formulated their passwords differently than phpbb 3. So when you upgrade to phpbb 3 you're actually converting / importing the password. Adding another forum software just added yet another convert / import into the process.

The way around this is a little "voodoo magic" in that vBulletin will convert it, but also sync it (for a lack of a more simpler term). So it's as if you had a fresh start (again for a lack of more simpler term). And XenForo imports vBulletin so easily it's funny.

Now, what you could do is find someone such as myself, who would be willing to lend you a hand.....

Reactions: rdn
Solution is not what you want, but it is the only answer.

phpbb to vBulletint to XenForo.

The problem is that phpbb 2 formulated their passwords differently than phpbb 3. So when you upgrade to phpbb 3 you're actually converting / importing the password. Adding another forum software just added yet another convert / import into the process.

The way around this is a little "voodoo magic" in that vBulletin will convert it, but also sync it (for a lack of a more simpler term). So it's as if you had a fresh start (again for a lack of more simpler term). And XenForo imports vBulletin so easily it's funny.

Now, what you could do is find someone such as myself, who would be willing to lend you a hand.....
The problem with vbulletin is that, all Russian letters/words change into ???? (question mark) :(

The problem with vbulletin is that, all Russian letters/words change into ???? (question mark) :(
If you're interested, I could attempt

phpbb 2 > IPB > XenForo

I'd have to do it on a local host install, because IPB only allows for X many installs of their software and I already have it running some place, including a test site. And that thing calls home more than most ad-ware do, so it's not something I can get around on my server.

They key point here is you don't want to upgrade from phpbb 2 to phpbb 3, because that technically does add that extra "import" conversion ratio in regards to passwords.

I'm not sure how it would apply going from my proposed method (it may work, it may not). But I'm willing to give it a try if you're game.

A second import really isn't going to do anything. You can't convert across incompatible password schemes. The passwords would only be "preserved" across an import if the schemes are 100% identical. Otherwise, you need some sort of wrapping system to authenticate against a different password (which is how XF uses other password schemes).

So really, the way to do it would be to extend the phpBB password handler in XF to cover phpBB 2's scheme. I don't know how they store that (to ensure that all of the necessary data has been imported) and I'm not sure the scheme, but it may be doable.

A second import really isn't going to do anything. You can't convert across incompatible password schemes. The passwords would only be "preserved" across an import if the schemes are 100% identical. Otherwise, you need some sort of wrapping system to authenticate against a different password (which is how XF uses other password schemes).

So really, the way to do it would be to extend the phpBB password handler in XF to cover phpBB 2's scheme. I don't know how they store that (to ensure that all of the necessary data has been imported) and I'm not sure the scheme, but it may be doable.
Would love to see the current importer extended @Mike (as well as add a few more).

In the mean time, the current proposed method that I originally suggested, works (does so far for me. Maybe I've been very lucky).

Would love to see the current importer extended @Mike (as well as add a few more).

In the mean time, the current proposed method that I originally suggested, works (does so far for me. Maybe I've been very lucky).
I'm not lucky, cause the forum I'm converting is using Russian language.
Phpbb2 > phpbb3 > xf1.2 hopefully preserve password.

@Mike if you have spare time, kindly look at phpbb2 code
Hopefully I can see /library/XenForo/Importer/PhpBb2.php file :D
To test with, I'd be willing to help on testing aspect :)

Top Bottom