XF 1.2 Import a ton of spam/outdated users, or clean up first?

sothis

I have a very large vbulletin forum that's been steadily accumulating a crazy amount of spammers. While I've been blocked a ton of ranges/etc they just keep coming. Looking forward to a better situation here with Xenforo.

I want to migrate as soon as possible, but the database size is already about 4 gigs (that includes a lot of posts, none of which I'd like to prune). Part of me wondered if pruning users on vbulletin's end (which is pretty painful or impossible to do easily) would help, another part of me thinks I should just move everything over in bulk and prune here on xenforo, given the (seemingly) excellent spam-checking user tool.

What do you think? I don't mind the forum being down for a few hours while migration happens so if its just a small time saving issue it's ok. Just going for what will be easier to prune.

It's really your choice, based on where you think it's easier to prune or to undertake the steps you want to do. From the import side of things, it's mostly time saving.

With Vbulletin there is an option to search users that have no posts and havent logged in for xx days and so on and thats what I have been using to prune users. There may be such an option with xenforo as well but I havent looked.

With Vbulletin there is an option to search users that have no posts and havent logged in for xx days and so on and thats what I have been using to prune users.

I'm pretty sure those options exists in vBulletin.

I suggest to do as much pruning as possible in vBulletin before the import. Also make sure there are no duplicate email addresses.

Top Bottom