Implemented Implement way to update payment details when using Stripe

Jake B.

If your card expires, or you get a new number there is currently no way to update the payment details for your XenForo user upgrade which results in people having to wait for their subscription to actually expire so they can create a new one with their updated payment details. This is a pretty messy experience for the user, and anyone providing customer support. There should be a way to update the payment details yourself.

This isn't an issue with Paypal as you're able to login to your paypal account and update any of your payment details, but with Stripe this is not possible.

The most straightforward way to do this would be using Stripe's customer portal

Upvote 35
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
That is currently the expected behaviour. We think this is may be something we should could change. The customer portal is a nice catalyst for this but as this would be new functionality, it would be best tracked as a suggestion for now.

people having to wait for their subscription to actually expire so they can create a new one with their updated payment details. This is a pretty messy experience for the user, and anyone providing customer support.
This is not only a problem for users who ordered recurring upgrades via credit card but for anyone, hence it should be possible to extend non-recurring upgrades as well :)

Last edited:
people having to wait for their subscription to actually expire so they can create a new one

Isn't really an issue for non recurring
It is :)

As long as there is a non-recurring user upgade active, you can't renew that upgrade - you have to wait until it has expired which means the user will loose the upgradeded features (until it is renewed).

This leads to bad user experience and frustrated users who would like to renew before expiry.

Any movement on implementing this within XF? I had a custom integration with Stripe's customer portal built out but now it needs maintenance (causing errors, possibly not playing nice with another add-on).

I have voted for this feature too.

In the interim, I have custom edited the account_upgrade template, within the '$purchased is not empty' conditional statement to create a link to the Stripe Customer Portal - using their 'No code' portal link.

NOTE: I do not offer PayPal or any other payment method - only Stripe. So this is simple and effective enough and satisfies those on subscription product who actively wish to update their CC details.

1709273813501.webp

I have voted for this feature too.

In the interim, I have custom edited the account_upgrade template, within the '$purchased is not empty' conditional statement to create a link to the Stripe Customer Portal - using their 'No code' portal link.

NOTE: I do not offer PayPal or any other payment method - only Stripe. So this is simple and effective enough and satisfies those on subscription product who actively wish to update their CC details.

View attachment 299062

This will cause issues if you have a user without an email address on their account as it groups them all into a single stripe customer so someone could potentially see payment details of another user IIRC

Also I’m fairly certain a user will get put into a new stripe customer if they change their email because it uses (at least from what I remember from looking into this ages ago) their email as the primary identifier to connect them

This will cause issues if you have a user without an email address on their account as it groups them all into a single stripe customer so someone could potentially see payment details of another user IIRC

Also I’m fairly certain a user will get put into a new stripe customer if they change their email because it uses (at least from what I remember from looking into this ages ago) their email as the primary identifier to connect them
Yeah... nah.

I'm going to trust that Stripe has done their homework waaaaaaay more than any of us here and has not released a 'no code' system that's so easily played like you describe. Suggest you revisit the No Code aspect of the Customer Portal product.

There is the scenario where a forum member may have changed their email after creating a subscription and thus enters an email (to trigger the 30 min portal window) that does not map to the email on file. This scenario is the same as entering an incorrect email. They get nothing.

Anyway, I have tested it extensively using my forum test account and had a number of my usual-suspect forum guinea pigs run through the process as well - and am more than satisfied it is perfectly safe. See point 1. This is Stripe, not some 99cent bucketshop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom