Impact of Responsive Ads on AdSense Income

With a responsive ad layount, has your AdSense income changes?

• I'm earning LESS with responsive ad layouts

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • It's about the same, responsive ads have not affect my income

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • My ad income as actually INCREASED with responsive ads

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My revenue is back :)
What changes I made is:
  • Use different Google Analytic's from different Email
  • Remove all custom channels

My revenue is back :)
What changes I made is:
  • Use different Google Analytic's from different Email
  • Remove all custom channels

Why do you think that would have an effect?
I made drastic changes around the time mine tanked and decided to stop throwing levers for awhile to let things settle. I can't see how custom channels and a new account would affect clicks. Can you expand on this?

Why do you think that would have an effect?
I made drastic changes around the time mine tanked and decided to stop throwing levers for awhile to let things settle. I can't see how custom channels and a new account would affect clicks. Can you expand on this?
I don't know exactly, I just list my recent changes before my revenue is back.

Wow, >50%? Is that your overall eCPM rates or earnings?

How significant was your drop in traffic around that time?
Earnings and that matched my traffic drop. I think mine coincided with a google update that downgraded my site. Not necessarily responsive related.

I was initially serving 3 ad units vis js and have since gone all in on beta responsive. I don't like that I can't see which size ads are performing but am going to wait it out.

i think the reason for this is

in responsive ads,
the ads shown by responsive is less EYE CATCHING
compared with a non responsive 728x90 which is forced to a mobile phone screen size

also, lower sizes ads are bought cheap compared with bigger ads size which company
pays big to be shown...

remember company bids for ads to be shown in adsense

The poll's running roughly 2/3 earning less & 1/3 earning the same or more.

I'm finally biting the bullet & converting one of my own, but any shortfall won't be because of responsive ads. I pulled the plug on one of my larger forums (2nd largest in traffic, 3rd largest in ad revenue) Saturday, and it will be re-emerging later this week under a different domain name (one that I merged in last year) with about 10% of the content but more focused and hopefully without some of the potty-mouthed members.

I even tried making the responsive size ad the same size as a full browser ad. (300x250 ads work fine in responsive designs and look fine on phones).

See my political forum and my forum for cord cutters. (don't get mad, they're running IPB ;))

So when my design switches to responsive they still get a nice 300x250 banner. Traffic and page views remaining steady, my revenue still dropped over 50%.

So it's not just the tiny ads. Something else is going on here...

This poll is a tough one because I suspect the time frame(s) are important in two ways...

1. Those who started using the responsive earlier and reported earlier in time may be doing worse (that is, goog called it Beta for a reason)....

2. It seems that it is taking a few months for google logic to really catch up to the site(s). I noticed when first moving to responsive ads that many of the ads turned from graphic banners into 4 or 5 text ads next to each other. As the months have gone by, though, they appear to be changing back to the graphic ones.

It may be that the advertisers (who place ads in adwords) need a few months for their marketing and graphics departments to catch up in terms of having the proper ads in adwords, etc.

I saw a large initial drop but it's been slowly creeping back to normal. It's been a couple of weeks.

I had to abandon responsive ads. I was seeing cuts of almost 50%. I was in full panic mode. Returned to standard sizes and everything went back to normal. Unless you use some very large formats, they will look fine on mobile.

I had to abandon responsive ads. I was seeing cuts of almost 50%. I was in full panic mode. Returned to standard sizes and everything went back to normal. Unless you use some very large formats, they will look fine on mobile.

If you can make it through the time when the revenue goes down... it'll eventually come back up in my experience. Must be something about the ads that are initially targeted or something.

So you disable XenForo Responsive mode also?

Nope, I use nothing but 300x250 rectangles, so they fix right into place when responsive mode kicks in.

Hmmm... that's a very different adsense placement than my site. Has it been successful for you? Do people complain that the ads are smack dab in your posts?

Top Bottom