XF 1.1 Images displayed within forum are loosing contrast

Simon R

Hi

Don't know if this is the right place to post this. I run a photography forum and it has been noted by a few members that images displayed within a thread in the forum aren't as good quality in contrast and resolution as the same image displayed in a normal browser window or in Photoshop.

This image shows the forum displayed image on the left and the same file in a normal browser window. Note these are straight embedded as links not uploaded as attachments

Screen shot 2012-02-14 at 10.57.05.webp

This next one shows the same difference with the thread image against the same image in teh same colourspace in Photoshop

Screen shot 2012-02-14 at 11.42.58.webp

The difference is slight but does affect the overall quality - and it doesn't show when posted in threads in other forum software.

Any ideas ?

What settings do you have for image sizes and dimensions in the ACP?

If the images are being resized then there will be a loss of quality.

So the images are just embedded from an external URL?

In which case the forum software won't have any effect - the images will be as the originals once viewed full size.

If they're just displayed in image tags, then XenForo doesn't have anything to do with it. It's just the browser displaying it. Note that certain browser (Firefox I believe) do actually have support for things like gamma controls in images, so it's possible to see inconsistencies with that.

Using your examples, both images seem to be identical to me.

There is certainly a difference but perhaps one only a calibrated screen can see - but the RHS ones both have slightly more contrast

They are only embedded to external URL's

Top Bottom