I've set my maximum image upload size to about 8MB but users are unable to upload anything bigger than 2MB or so. It appears to upload successfully but the Insert Thumbnail/Full Image buttons just never appear. Pressing the 'Insert every image as a..." button doesn't do anything. Any ideas what the problem is? Like many people have posted about, I need to be able to have my users upload large files (5-7MB). Even if there is no server side resizing, shouldn't it still be accepting these files if I've designated it as an acceptable size?
Screen shot below. It just hangs right here. Sometime sit leaves one at 100%, sometimes it finishes up.
See this from the FAQ related to large images and thumbnails:
Why can I upload an image, even though it is larger than the maximum file size (KB) permitted?
Uploaded files are first resized based on the maximum physical dimensions (pixels) set in the ACP -> Options -> Attachments: Maximum Attachment Image Dimensions. If the resized image is below the maximum file size (KB) limit, then it will be allowed.
Note that with XenForo 1.1 and above, images of 16 megapixels and over will not be resized; this is to prevent fatal errors due to running out of memory. If the Maximum Attachment Image Dimensions combined total (width x height) is set lower than this limit, images greater than 16 megapixels, or with a dimension larger than that permitted, will be rejected with an error stating The uploaded image is too big. If the Maximum Attachment Image Dimensions combined total (width x height) is set to 0 or greater than 16 megapixels, the image will appear as an attachment without a thumbnail.
I recently moved hosting companies from one VPS to Linode. After the move everything was working fine, but I started having members complaining that some images were not uploading properly.
They would upload an attachment (image) and the progress bar would hit 100% and then nothing would happen.
After a bunch of researching, I changed the following settings for PHP and MySQL to match my previous VPS. I'm unfortunately not sure which one was successful in fixing the problem, but wanted to post here (and a few other related threads) to share that this worked for me!
memory_limit = from 32M to 158M
max_allowed_packet=268435456 to max_allowed_packet=64M
wait_timeout=10 to 45
(make sure to restart your services after you make the changes)