XF 2.1 Image Upload Problem

Alfuzzy

I have a member who's trying to upload an image...and says he's getting the following error:

Image Attach.png

He also mentioned that it's a "tiff" image file.

I then went to AdminCP > Setup > Options > Attachments...then "Allowed attachment file extensions:" area...I see the list of allowed attachment file extensions...and I see that "tiff" is not included. I added "tiff" to the list:

Attachment Extensions.png

I asked the member to try uploading the tiff image again...and he says it still doesn't work (gets the same error). Did I do something wrong...or is there a setting somewhere else in the AdminCP that takes care of this?

Thanks

Member says the tif image is only 21k and 350 pixels wide. I was expecting it to be really huge both in file size & dimensions.

I made the change in the AdminCP you suggested...and asked the member to try again. Hopefully with success.

Thanks

Unfortunately forum member says they still can't upload tiff image files. In the AdminCP..."Allowed attachment file extensions:" area...I've added both "tiff" and "tif" (without quotes).

If there's another idea/solution...I will give it a try.

Thanks

Tif files are relatively rare these days but I seem to recall you get different types, eg I believe they can contain different layers (like a Photoshop .psd)

I don’t know, but if that is the reason then the best thing may be to convert it to png or jpg

Totally agree that it's unusual for someone to want/need to upload a tiff file...expecially on a forum that's not graphic designer or photography focused.

From what I've learned...this forum member is using an Apple Utility app called "Grab". After checking with Wikipedia...sounds like it's an app that makes grabbing screenshots easier...and sounds like by default it saves these screenshots as tiff files.

The Wikipedia article for "Grab" also seems to say with some versions of "Grab"...that the default image file format can be changed from tiff to png (which I know works with XF). But if XF 2.1 is capable of inserting tiff image files...then I didn't want to tell this user to change what they may have been doing for years if it's unecessary.

If someone said XF 2.1 does not support the insertion of tiff image files...then that would be fine. But if XF 2.1 is capable if inserting tiff image files...that would be great too.

Thanks

Just tested on my forum with tiff allowed.

It will upload as a file attachment, but does not display as an image.

If I try to upload as image I get this

Screenshot 2020-07-07 at 19.20.17.webp

So I suspect that allowed atachment eextensions does not necessarily mean it can be embvdded as an image - I suspect that is a limitation. of image display.

If your member has Apple, they can convert easily. Open in preview then export as jpeg or png

Thanks Mr. Lucky. Turns out this member did exactly what you did...they were successful uploading the tiff file as an attachment...and just like you...they get the error if they try to insert the tiff file as an image insertion:

Image Attach.png

And after checking wikipedia...I did see that the "Grab" app...can grab sceenshots as png files rather than the default tiff format...and I mentioned this to my forum member with the issue.

If inserting a tiff image (via the XF 2.1 toolbar)...and after adding tiff or tif to the "Allowed attachment file extensions:" in the AdminCP is simply not possible with XF 2.1...that would be totally ok. Just need to know this officially from XF...so I can communicate this to my forum member with the issue.:)

Thanks

Top Bottom