Image proxy and SSD read/write cycles

Amin Sabet

I recently changed my sites to https and was using the DigitalPoint image proxy addon, which makes use of Memcached. However I was seeing some weird things with that addon, like images not completely showing, so I've switched over to the XenForo image proxy.

My only concern with the XenForo image proxy is that it will be writing a ton of images to my SSD since my sites are photography forums. I am a little concerned about SSD health with this. Is there any way to monitor that? Should I not be concerned? I have a good, redundant on- and off-site backup strategy, but I'd prefer to not have to use it!

I realize this isn't a XenForo issue and will be asking my server host the same question but was hoping to benefit from some of the local expertise. Thanks!

UPDATE: My hosting company replied: We use a command line application called smartctl to monitor the SMART data of our drives. It can be installed via your OS's package manager. Information on how to use it can be found in the link below. /dev/sda and /dev/sdb would be the drives you want to test. You can get a readout of the drivs mounted to the server by entering "fdisk -l".

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/li...smart-status-information-on-your-hard-drives/

Last edited:
This is what I got from testing my SSD. I guess I should repeat the test in a few weeks and see how much the media wearout indicator has dropped. Is that the gist of it?

Attachments

This is what I use to check my ssd's in raid 1
Code:
smartctl -a -d megaraid,1 /dev/sdb

and just check Wear_Leveling_Count

And for my backup HD
Code:
smartctl -a /dev/sda

You have
233 Media_Wearout_Indicator 0x0032 099 099 000 Old_age Always - 0

I have
177 Wear_Leveling_Count 0x0013 099 099 005 Pre-fail Always - 4

And our SSD's seems to have almost the same age.

You have
233 Media_Wearout_Indicator 0x0032 099 099 000 Old_age Always - 0

I have
177 Wear_Leveling_Count 0x0013 099 099 005 Pre-fail Always - 4

And our SSD's seems to have almost the same age.

I don't know how to interpret those numbers at all. Trying to find some good links to read up. Is my SSD in okay shape?

I'm not sure what you consider to be a ton of images (i.e. the actual total size), but even at say 50GB of data written per day, most SSD drives these days will easily last 10-15 years. They take hundreds of terabytes of writing before they fail. By the time you get to that point, you hopefully won't be using the same drive, or even the same server. :D

Top Bottom