Image Licenses/Copyright Make No Sense?

=MGN=RedEagle

Hi guys,

I try to keep the law to a tee with my buisness which means I always try to get a license for every image I use. I see many people struggling with this... Also, creative commons in my opinion seem to come with some difficult-to-apply restrictions.

Anyone ever thought of working to fix this?

IMO this law only punishes people who try to keep the law and big businesses (who have to (lawsuit)).

What are your thoughts? Anyone share my feelings?

Basically, using an image found on Google Images on your own website violates copyright law. I am trying to make a discussion about attempted solution idea/websites/legal efforts if there are any.

Basically, using an image found on Google Images on your own website violates copyright law. I am trying to make a discussion about attempted solution idea/websites/legal efforts if there are any.

Is Google not violating copyright by even showing them to you?

And I'm trying to understand what you are on about. Is this not a discussion?

Is Google not violating copyright by even showing them to you?
There was a case about it and Google won. I believe it was the issue of previews where Google has the right because it's a preview.
Not if you use https://www.google.com/advanced_image_search and filter on the appropriate 'usage rights' value.
I find Creative Commons somewhat frustrating... It's not built for how web 2.0 works...

To all, check out this video to learn more about copyright... second 55: http://creativecommons.org/about

I have always wanted to clarify this.... thank you for bringing it up..

My doubt is: If i make a cartoon image of Gibson Les Paul guitar and use the same in a collage
  • am i doing anything wrong legally?
  • What if i am earning money from such collage?
  • What if i make sure a disclaimer about the image copyrights/trademarks is given
If what i am doing is wrong can anyone point me towards a competent authority to take care of all licensing fees? Since it involves thousands of models from more than hundred brands i will not be able to approach the companies individually for license permit requests...

I have always wanted to clarify this.... thank you for bringing it up..

My doubt is: If i make a cartoon image of Gibson Les Paul guitar and use the same in a collage
  • am i doing anything wrong legally?
  • What if i am earning money from such collage?
  • What if i make sure a disclaimer about the image copyrights/trademarks is given
If what i am doing is wrong can anyone point me towards a competent authority to take care of all licensing fees? Since it involves thousands of models from more than hundred brands i will not be able to approach the companies individually for license permit requests...

Your question is my point exactly. Since your work incorporates other's copyrighted creative work, in the most strict legal sense, you would need to get permission from each one. I use public domain images and ThinkStock images for my works or I make it all from scratch.

Check out this article on the guy who made that cool looking Hope/Obama poster.

Not giving legal advice here. Hoping I am wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom