XF 2.2 Image Copy/Paste Causes Crash

RoyalRumble

Hello,

I'm hopeful someone can kindly advise how I could start to troubleshoot an issue I have with my forum.

It's a bit of a weird one that I'd have no idea how to begin to resolve.

Basically whenever an image is copied and paste from the internet into the postbit, it completely crashes the page;

I'm finding an issue when copying and pasting a photo onto the site where it takes ages and crashes the page. This has never been an issue before.

If I download the picture and insert using the option, it uploads perfectly fine.

This is happening for me too. (I'm also using firefox.) As Chris said, downloading the picture first works fine.
It's just the copy/paste action that causes the page to crash.

... however, copy and paste works from Microsoft Paint, or by downloading and uploading the picture.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

- v2.2.10 Patch 1

Last edited:
What form does the crash take?
Is there an error message?

Which image processor is in use?

1658937814882.webp

Any add-ons installed?

What version of PHP is running?

Thanks @Brogan

The browser just freezes and becomes unresponsive. The same behaviour on Chrome, Firefox and Edge. It's consistently reported across our forum.

I've uploaded a video here - you'll see the Chrome 'page unresponsive' message after 20s+

I'm not the best with tech/error messages, but I reviewed server logs/browser console and couldn't see anything I thought was relevant. There's no errors in XF admin.php.

View attachment 271458

PHP, but I did try selecting Imagemagick before creating this thread and the issue was the same.

Any add-ons installed?

A few, though the only recent one since the issue began to occur is this, and no upgrades. The issue still continues with all add-ons disabled.

I tried changing to 8.0 but the forum shows "This page isn't working. [domain] is currently unable to handle this request. HTTP ERROR 500.

I've tried pausing Cloudflare, disabling all add-ons, disabling ads.

Really baffled as image upload via attachment is fine, it's just copy and paste from web that causes the crash, is it one to raise with out server techs? We're on a dedicated server.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Had a couple of DMs about this thread - sharing this here in case anyone has this issue in future.

"Amazon are loading a script called ats.js which looks to be intercepting the paste operation and then hanging when trying to process it.

https://ats.rlcdn.com/ats.js

If we wait long enough after pasting the image we see various timing violations pointing to handlers in the ats script. When we remove Amazon Ads then the ats script is not loaded and the forum's image paste operations work normally.

The ATS script is fairly common, we have an identityLink provider on other sites that use that same script. We're going to try and raise this with Amazon but it would be good to ask Xenforo about it too"

+ Flagged to XF who are going to ask their dev team to look.

Thanks

View attachment 271458

Any add-ons installed?

Hi Brogan,

A user reported similar issue on my forum as well:

I was able to replicate the issue also.

We are hosted on Xenforo cloud.

I've noticed in the past that trying to paste in an image that was too large of a file size would make the browser lock up for a while. But, this was only on our "test" forum, where I have the image size limits set very high, and where I also have PHP's upload limits set to match. On other forums, I have the limits set lower and haven't heard of any issues.

Top Bottom