Image caching and site performance

NealC

I'm running XF 2.latest on Windows Server 2019, PHP 7.latest. I am only using Zend_OPCache as that's all I can get to work with XF as other cache systems seem to crash the site. If you go to https://rvforums.com you can see the header image for the site load kind of slow and when I return to the site I see the image always loading slow as if it's not getting cached so it seems like image caching is non existing and the site is probably not optimized for fast loading. I welcome any suggestions on how to improve site performance and caching on Windows Server with PHP 7.4.5 or later which I'm running now.

Good day. I just visited your site and it all loaded pretty quickly for me. Header image loaded very quick, :) My location is in Atlantic Canada.

Stay safe,
Lawrence

Loading fairly quick here too (Sydney AUS), however Google Ads and Analytics are adding some weight to your load times.

Check it out with www.gtmetrix.com and Google Chrome / MS Edge Inspect > Network for waterfall timings.

Seems to load very quick! Are you using a CDN? Any other optimizations you performed?

No CDN or anything else other than stock XF 2.x. It may be Chrome browser that's the issue more than the site itself come to think of it. It just seems like images don't cache and are always loading a bit slow. Servers I own and are in a fast datacenter setup, my Internet is fast too so that's not the issue. I'll try other browsers to test. But I would like to have a better cache system for the site on Windows server as xcache and anything else crashes XF when setup per the XF docs.

First of all I'd recommend to not use a Windows server for XF.

Your forum does not seem to be large, so you most likely won't gain too much from using a cache (Redis, Memcache, APCu).

That being said, you need to configure Expires headers properly for content in data and styles, how this is done depends on your Webserver (IIS?)

You have included a PWA manifest that does not seem to exist, you should fix that:
Code:
<link rel="manifest" href="/styles/site.webmanifest">

Thank you, I'll check into the items you pointed out, appreciated. I use Windows as that's what I run for my business, I'll look into other options down the road if needed.

I'm less-than-zero on Windows based servers, but you should check into what it would take to support HTTP/2. Your site loads well for me otherwise.

I'm running XF 2.latest on Windows Server 2019, PHP 7.latest. I am only using Zend_OPCache as that's all I can get to work with XF as other cache systems seem to crash the site. If you go to https://rvforums.com you can see the header image for the site load kind of slow and when I return to the site I see the image always loading slow as if it's not getting cached so it seems like image caching is non existing and the site is probably not optimized for fast loading. I welcome any suggestions on how to improve site performance and caching on Windows Server with PHP 7.4.5 or later which I'm running now.

WindowsServer :(

This boost your Server up...

Top Bottom