I'm Fiending For A Good Sci-Fi/Fantasy Novel Series

DRE

I am picky in the sense that I only read books from author's I read when I was a teen, so as an adult I never actually looked for new authors or tried to spread my horizons etc. Because of this, I'm stuck to reading novel series by a small amount of authors who don't publish at regular intervals. I basically go through long periods of drought before I read another book.

How do you get into a new series? Do you just randomly pick up a book and start reading or what? or do you rely on suggestions from your friends or book reviews?

Fortunately our books forum attracts a number of published authors and they, if not their own works, they can come up with some great recommendations that I may have missed otherwise or even heard of.

Another source for me is being frugal... I always check out the local book stores to see what they have on clearance (aka: the bargain bin) because I can find some gems in there that I might not have looked at if they were full price.

Fortunately our books forum attracts a number of published authors and they, if not their own works, they can come up with some great recommendations that I may have missed otherwise or even heard of.

Another source for me is being frugal... I always check out the local book stores to see what they have on clearance (aka: the bargain bin) because I can find some gems in there that I might not have looked at if they were full price.
That's a very beautifully designed forum. So... when are you upgrading it to xenforo? :D

I am picky in the sense that I only read books from author's I read when I was a teen, so as an adult I never actually looked for new artists or tried to spread my horizons etc. Because of this, I'm stuck to reading novel series by a small amount of authors who don't publish at regular intervals. I basically go through long periods of drought before I read another book.

How do you get into a new series? Do you just randomly pick up a book and start reading or what? or do you rely on suggestions from your friends or book reviews?
Same here.. Ive been reading the Dragon Lance series for decades. Fortunatly i dont read much and there are hundreds of them. so im good for several years to come.

That's a very beautifully designed forum. So... when are you upgrading it to xenforo? :D
Thanks. :) It was going to be this fall when XF 1.2.0 was expected to be out. Have a new custom design waiting in the wings and did some test conversions already but with anything & everything apparently on hold till the January trial I'm holding off converting that site for now. It is in a bit of a limbo... I know I don't want to go with vB4 or vB5, have IPB licenses but never really liked IPB from a user perspective, and XF's future is murky. I suspect I may end up being one of those clinging on to vB 3.8.x for quite some time.

So what kind of topics do you usually like to read? If you're looking for a series, one of our users is TM Hunter and is the author of the Aston West collection [http://astonwest.com]. Aston West is a 'space pirate' and tend to be adventure/action oriented. In the fantasy realm, have you checked The Dark Tower series from Stephen King? I know, I know... Stephen King. Some people dismiss him since his works tend to vary in quality and have spawned some bad movies but the Dark Tower series is pretty good and has a big following of fans apart from his typical horror stuff.

Thanks. :) It was going to be this fall when XF 1.2.0 was expected to be out. Have a new custom design waiting in the wings and did some test conversions already but with anything & everything apparently on hold till the January trial I'm holding off converting that site for now. It is in a bit of a limbo... I know I don't want to go with vB4 or vB5, have IPB licenses but never really liked IPB from a user perspective, and XF's future is murky. I suspect I may end up being one of those clinging on to vB 3.8.x for quite some time.

So what kind of topics do you usually like to read? If you're looking for a series, one of our users is TM Hunter and is the author of the Aston West collection [http://astonwest.com]. Aston West is a 'space pirate' and tend to be adventure/action oriented. In the fantasy realm, have you checked The Dark Tower series from Stephen King? I know, I know... Stephen King. Some people dismiss him since his works tend to vary in quality and have spawned some bad movies but the Dark Tower series is pretty good and has a big following of fans apart from his typical horror stuff.
I don't see why you should wait... why are you waiting? I'll join after you convert! :D

The Dark Tower Series is very good. I read it after I first read the short story Stephen King posted in Legends which was a compilation of other sci-fi/fantasy authors. Matter-of-fact, that compilation book is what got me interested in reading other sci-fi/fantasy author's novels and I know there is a sequel to Legends. I think it's called Legends. Not sure, but I need to pick it up. Through Legends I discovered not only the awesomeness of The Dark Tower series but Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series which started out great but kinda fell off near the end...

game of thrones....hunger games.....
In my previous post I mentioned that I discovered the Dark Tower Series and The Sword of Truth series in Legends, I also discovered A Game of Thrones through that same novel but unlike the two I mentioned, after reading the first two books I lost interest in Game of Thrones. Dude was killing off my favorite characters man.

ever read any ted dekker?

the circle series and his new Mortal series (books of mortals) are really good

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Dark Tower series was horribly disappointing beyond book four.
Books 1 & 4 were the best, hands down. Apparently Stephen King's run-in with the van made him go "full retard" on the last couple of books, particularly the last book.

Game of Thrones has been good, currently working on book 3.

My long-standing favorite fantasy series of all time is "Guardians of the Flame" by Joel Rosenburg.
Unfortunately, they have been out of print for some time now and can be somewhat difficult to find, but are still generally available on half.com or some similar used book site.

The Free Bards, by Mercedes Lackey, (three book printed as one) was also fairly good.
http://www.amazon.com/Free-Bards-Bardic-Voices/dp/067187778X

I look around. Sometimes I follow authors and look for their works - for example I'm a huge fan of the late Michael Crichton and all of his works. Some I know from movies and I read before the movies such as the Hobbit (one example anyways), and some I just randomly find. I take suggestions every now and then - that's how I got introduced to Game of Thrones (I'd highly recommend this one btw). I'm on book 5 now, although I haven't started it since i haven't been able to go buy it yet. I read a lot though.

ever read any ted dekker?

the circle series and his new Mortal series (books of mortals) are really good

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I watched the trailer and it made me want to read the book. Wow @ everyone being dead and not knowing it. Interesting concept.

The Dark Tower series was horribly disappointing beyond book four.
Books 1 & 4 were the best, hands down. Apparently Stephen King's run-in with the van made him go "full retard" on the last couple of books, particularly the last book.

Game of Thrones has been good, currently working on book 3.

My long-standing favorite fantasy series of all time is "Guardians of the Flame" by Joel Rosenburg.
Unfortunately, they have been out of print for some time now and can be somewhat difficult to find, but are still generally available on half.com or some similar used book site.

The Free Bards, by Mercedes Lackey, (three book printed as one) was also fairly good.
http://www.amazon.com/Free-Bards-Bardic-Voices/dp/067187778X
Beyond 4.... so in Book 5: Wolves of Calla, ain't that where he brought in Harry Potter's snitch as a killing tool? Yeah I can see where your coming from with that. lol

Just looked at wikipedia bout the Guardian of the Flame series. So the author passed away. The author of one of my favorite series passed away James Oliver Rigney, Jr. aka Robert Jordan passed away in 2007 and some dude is still making sequels out of his books. Do you think that would happen for Guardian of The Flame?

*looks up Mercedes Lackey, sees something interesting.

Stance on fanfiction

Despite getting her own start as a fan fiction author, she and her agent strongly forbade fanfiction based on her own books for many years, whether distributed offline or online. Lackey stated on her website[3] that this was due to the 1992 Marion Zimmer Bradley fan fiction affair, when a fan accused Bradley of copying the fan's work, and demanded writing credit and remuneration.[4] After several years, Lackey's policy permitted offline fanfic, but only if the author got a release form from Mercedes Lackey that said the author acknowledged that they were using characters that belong to Mercedes Lackey and that the author's work essentially became Mercedes Lackey's property to prevent "infringing on my right to make a living from my own imagination". As of 2009 this policy appears to have changed per the author's official website.

lol!!!

Top Bottom